Harness choice for buggered back..

dryadlad

I've been off work for a month now with a doggy back ,chiropractor is treating it a a prolapsed disc [ i'm not convinced ].Anyway as i'm doing pretty much naff all, apart from watching homes under the hammer ,i thought id look into a new harness.As i have no intention of giving up climbing im trying to reduce the risk of this happening again.My current harness of 5 years is a dragonfly which is ok ,but im thinking the seat is causing my back to bannana ,which is a big no no for the posture.Ive been hunting around and the Petzl Sequioa looks pretty good as well as the treeflex .:questionmark::questionmark:

Remember 2 hands on the bat rope .

Edited by dryadlad

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Dragonfly and tbh for me with a similar problem to yourself i've found it to be great. The best thing you can do for yourself is build up core strength to protect your back.

Climbing should help your recovery rather than hinder it if your sensible.

Personally I think its more about how you wear the harness. If it is too high, the back pad immobilises the lumbar region, which is bad for back problems. Wearing a harness lower across the top of your pelvis allows the back to do what it should be doing, ie supporting your body by itself, and allows freedom of movement.

Personally, I find Komet harnesses always ride up, however I adjust them. I am in a TreeMotion, which is fine. The Petzl and Treeflex would also be good choices for a lower slung approach.

I have been told the skylotec are good . The one with the hard leg loops . Worse thing you can do is nothing . You got to keep moving or you seize up . Best o luck .

Yup, these ones -

skylotec-kolibri-arborists-tree-climbing-harness-250.jpg

Everyone's got their own preferences, (Blair here swears by his Sequoia) but I much prefer the Skylotec - it's much more supportive, IMHO.

Also start lookingat yr work-positioning methods, most people bugger they're bodies by poor climbing. Every stretch an strain you make, that you don't need to-puts you nearer that wheelchair. Especially when cutting. It's worth taking a slow climb around a tree, examining every move you make. Then trying something different.

K