Business Plan for the aged

Mick Stockbridge

The difference with Ben Law, he was the first person in the country to try it. Now his battle has become case law, and his permission becomes a precident.

I've heard that subsequent to Ben's case, lots of people have obtained permission for dwellings on that basis. Give me a mo, and I'l dig out the info.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar idea was had by an old(ish) lady in my village. She keeps a few hens, lambs and so on on about 4acres, and gradually converted a small shed/barn at one end to live in during the day, she now has full planning permission to live there to look after her stock, no ties such as puling it down if she stops having stock. She had bent the rules for years til I showed her Ben Laws book, then applied for a 5yearly temporary permission, but they (planning) advised full permission for a dwelling which was duly granted. Go for it Mick, fulfill your dreams, you only have one life:001_smile:

I want to plant a woodland on 17acres of rubbish grassland the oldman has in cambridgeshire as nice big block of coppice with standards, ideally 70% for firewood and 30% for traditional hazel coppice.

i love the whole Ben Law idea, I think the livestyle would be great, in one of his books, i think its the woodland house one there is a series of legal case studies about building woodland dwellings, i think the primary reason is for charcoal burning as you need to be present 24/7 for managing the burns, i know when we looked up here into getting an ag-tied dwelling on in-laws farm the council wanted accounts from the farm for x years to prove it was a viable business and that it required someone else living on site, so its not really straight forward, but with 15acres with some livestock and charcoal you should be ok, but they will want to see a predicted business plan

I want to plant a woodland on 17acres of rubbish grassland the oldman has in cambridgeshire as nice big block of coppice with standards, ideally 70% for firewood and 30% for traditional hazel coppice.

i love the whole Ben Law idea, I think the livestyle would be great, in one of his books, i think its the woodland house one there is a series of legal case studies about building woodland dwellings, i think the primary reason is for charcoal burning as you need to be present 24/7 for managing the burns, i know when we looked up here into getting an ag-tied dwelling on in-laws farm the council wanted accounts from the farm for x years to prove it was a viable business and that it required someone else living on site, so its not really straight forward, but with 15acres with some livestock and charcoal you should be ok, but they will want to see a predicted business plan

That used to be the case, but I read recently that the local authority has no right to ask for accounts as 'proof', and several have been succesfully challenged on this.

Its a fast moving legal battle, with a lot of ground being gained by permaculture supporters.

There is an old guy round these parts that does a similar thing on a small scale . He has an old cottage with plenty of land. Lots of local contractors tip off chip and logs which he sells on . This guy will also burn your crap from the builders sacks if your a regular . But you do get the contractors that only drop off Conifer / Willow and the like . He only does it like I say on a small scale .Ive talked with him at length and he reckons theres a lot of money to be made . Mind you he does charge for burning if your not a regular .:biggrin: