Rig N' Wrench

kevin bingham

• 2 months later...

This has been working great for us. I normally work with just one other guy....so it can be difficult at times for him control the rigging line with one hand and manoeuvre the suspended branch over or around obstacles with the other at times. Much easier when you have one guy on the rope, while another draws out and positions the load.

Because the frictions up top with the RigWrench set up, as the climber I can now just take the rigging line off him at any time, because there no weight in it. So, its like having another guy on the ground in a sense.

You can obviously create the same kind of friction up top by simply running through a crotch or too....but the friction obviously works both ways, which makes tightening not as effective. With the wrench you can pre-load and raise branches even....but with ability to lower perhaps double the weight of what you would normally on a friction less system. The bend on the slick pin is tight, granted.....but its just a deflection. The pinto pulley up above is where the line does a complete U turn.

Its not for huge pieces by any means....and if you're still needing to use a lowering device in conjunction then your going to big. If youre a small set-up like mine, short or stretched man power then its ideal.

G0101061.jpg.64f10b26a30f97a02825eba48b8390a5.jpg

G0101019.jpg.dc5a155b89a794fee1205785368d8294.jpg

G0101018.jpg.465fbc97901b1328f98ed361706e9fba.jpg

G0101017.jpg.c6ce53519abe378d8e43366270c55e3e.jpg

G0101016.jpg.a1dd720f4a0dd11a9294b43be30cbcb6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 09/02/2016 at 12:49, kevin bingham said:

here is another vid. you can double the size of the pieces and the amount of pull using a double whip and putting a block on the piece being removed.

Saw of choice ??

I just wanted to share this with you guys as this is where I came looking for info on rig n wrench...Thanks Mr Bingham!!!

I had this job in the pipeline which was some ugly old poplar pollards which had been left to regrow for some years 20+. So there were multiple long straight limbs growing off at various angles from the heads. One large limb had already failed and taken out one of the fences in this small garden but there were still plenty of targets around to avoid - fences, sheds, trampolines in the neighbours gardens etc. So whilst pondering a method to rig this down I stumbled across the rig n wrench...great for tip tying, relatively light rigging, minimal kit...perfect! 

Ive got to say it works a treat ?? The groundie I had on the day was an absolute novice when it comes to tree work but he handled it with ease as there were no complicated devices for him to get his head round, just pull and lower a small instructed...both of us were loving it! Obviously this has its limits although it's surprising just how big/long you can go with it but I thoroughly recommend adding it to your rig kit. 

Here's a little vid of us pulling a back leaner from over the neighbours garden - obviously not the slickest of camera work but hopefully you get the drift...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't really paid much attention to the rig n wrench. Having read this thread multiple times I think I'm going to need another rope wrench. It's the most simple of ideas that makes you wonder why noone's done it before. Excellent work.

• Like 2