Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to play devils advocate here for a moment - what would the power networks resposnse be of they were asked to move their powerline away from the tree? Anyone ever known such a thing or do the shareholders profits always take precedence?

Moving the line might be a stretch too far, but engagement with National Grid at a regional executive level rather than at the local line clearance contractor level, bringing to the fore the high degree of local interest in maintaining the tree may just pay dividends.

As described in The Tree Council's book:

"...National Grid is committed to the protection and enhancement of the environment whilst seeking new ways to minimise the environmental impacts of it's past, present and future activities. Believing that everyone is responsible for good environmental performance, the company incorporates environmental considerations into all it's business activities..."

Stokes, J. and White, J 2007. Why are leaves green Tree Miscellany. London. The Tree Council.

...and through National Grid's continued association with the Tree Council, it might just be that the potential for adverse PR and possible conflict with a determined local action group would prove unpalatable for the company. I'd suggest it would be important to get this highlighted at a sufficiently senior level so as to ensure a serious response mindful of the company's apparent commitment. An operational level contractor who makes a living from clearing lines would likely have a very different perspective (no offence intended.)

A secondary benefit may be that an inspection might be initiated by National Grid focussed directly upon the current and potential future considerations of this tree - as affects the security of power supply. If it were to find no immediate or potential future hazard it might form part of a valid argument for retention.

Engaging National Grid, at the right level, and alongside other campaign tactics, is not such a bad idea perhaps.

But if the tree is knackered after all, then so be it.....

Keep us posted!!

Moving the line might be a stretch too far, but engagement with National Grid at a regional executive level rather than at the local line clearance contractor level, bringing to the fore the high degree of local interest in maintaining the tree may just pay dividends.

As described in The Tree Council's book:

"...National Grid is committed to the protection and enhancement of the environment whilst seeking new ways to minimise the environmental impacts of it's past, present and future activities. Believing that everyone is responsible for good environmental performance, the company incorporates environmental considerations into all it's business activities..."

Stokes, J. and White, J 2007. Why are leaves green Tree Miscellany. London. The Tree Council.

...and through National Grid's continued association with the Tree Council, it might just be that the potential for adverse PR and possible conflict with a determined local action group would prove unpalatable for the company. I'd suggest it would be important to get this highlighted at a sufficiently senior level so as to ensure a serious response mindful of the company's apparent commitment. An operational level contractor who makes a living from clearing lines would likely have a very different perspective (no offence intended.)

A secondary benefit may be that an inspection might be initiated by National Grid focussed directly upon the current and potential future considerations of this tree - as affects the security of power supply. If it were to find no immediate or potential future hazard it might form part of a valid argument for retention.

Engaging National Grid, at the right level, and alongside other campaign tactics, is not such a bad idea perhaps.

But if the tree is knackered after all, then so be it.....

Keep us posted!!

Apart from that, the line is LV, therefore it's a DNO, such as UKPN, WPD, SSE and SP. National grid have no authority over those network operators.

Thanks for your input Kev and Eddy,

I'm now back at home after my hols and I've had a look at the tree. The local action campaign is gathering pace and ribbons have been tied to the tree. Apparently the local press have promised to publish a story and pic. The parish council also going to have the future of the tree on the agenda at their next meeting.

Personally I can see no need to fell the tree. Again I have to qualify that and say that I'm a woodland owner, not an arborist. I appreciate that their may well be significant differences between a tree growing in a woodland one going beneath power lines and next to a public footpath. Thta said I can see no sign of rot or other damage to the tree. If it wasn't tipping down with rain right now I'd shoot some pics of the trunk and unions so that those more in the know than myself could enlighten me - I'll try to get some shots when the weather improves.

I've also realised that the power network have been in the village recently and have replaced many of the poles and cables. Most cables are now single rather than four strands (sorry, please excuse my lack of knowledge,I don't understand the correct terminology here). The cabel that runs through the tree canopy has been left alone at is stage so what the power netwroks plan is I'm unsure.

Two of us have also emailed the tree officer - no response - perhaps hes on holiday :confused1:

I'll keep you all posted as things develop

Morning TA, I got a bit off track above confusing NG with LV supplies but Eddy put that right. Perhaps the principles of company interest in local issues / conservation of public amenity might migrate down from NG to the LV network guys? Might be worth a punt? One of parish councillors should have an environmental portfolio, perhaps worth finding which one it is and canvass them directly. Also, maybe worth checking with the Tree Council to see if there is anything they can do or if there is a tree warden nearby.

http://www.treecouncil.org.uk/About-Us

The more "noise" you can generate the harder it would be for decisions to be made without accountability!

Morning TA, I got a bit off track above confusing NG with LV supplies but Eddy put that right. Perhaps the principles of company interest in local issues / conservation of public amenity might migrate down from NG to the LV network guys? Might be worth a punt? One of parish councillors should have an environmental portfolio, perhaps worth finding which one it is and canvass them directly. Also, maybe worth checking with the Tree Council to see if there is anything they can do or if there is a tree warden nearby.

The Tree Council > About Us

The more "noise" you can generate the harder it would be for decisions to be made without accountability!

Evening Kevin,

Many thanks once again for your input:thumbup: I have a suspicion that the PC will rapidly back track when they realise the extent of the opposition to the tree felling. I've been told that the new electricity cables are bundled and insulated so the trees growing around them are no longer such a problem as in the past. Again time will tell on that one I guess. If that is the case then its interesting that the power network has left the cable running throught he tree alone while replacing most of the others in the area.

I've been looking at the tree council website, they look good, however theres no simple way to contact them. I can't see a 'contact' page or email address?

I'll keep you posted as things progress

Cheers :thumbup1:

Evening Kevin,

Many thanks once again for your input:thumbup: I have a suspicion that the PC will rapidly back track when they realise the extent of the opposition to the tree felling. I've been told that the new electricity cables are bundled and insulated so the trees growing around them are no longer such a problem as in the past. Again time will tell on that one I guess. If that is the case then its interesting that the power network has left the cable running throught he tree alone while replacing most of the others in the area.

Wrong! Whilst the ABC is rated as effectively insulated, it still requires a clearance to be cut around the line, to allow for wind sway and heat sag, whilst preventing rubbing of the conductors against the tree.

Reference section 5.5 of ENA G55/2 or S7.5 of ENA G55/3

And ENA TS 43-8 & 43-12

Wrong! Whilst the ABC is rated as effectively insulated, it still requires a clearance to be cut around the line, to allow for wind sway and heat sag, whilst preventing rubbing of the conductors against the tree.

Reference section 5.5 of ENA G55/2 or S7.5 of ENA G55/3

And ENA TS 43-8 & 43-12

Cheers for that info Eddy :thumbup1: