Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article about this on radio Norfolk this morning. The parish council are having a public meeting this evening to discuss.........

Just back home after the parish council meeting...the idea that they were going to discuss the tree was a little inaccurate. As it happened the tree didn't seem to interest anyone on the council much. Those of us that went in support of the tree had to sit through about one hour 45 minutes of planning, grass trimming, traffic signs...god give me strength....When we finally, finally finished discussing the posiiton of every last bollard and drain in the village we got to the tree. A vague and, IMHO, disinterested conversation followed. I pointed out that the PC didn't have the authority to make a decision, as the tree is in a conservatuon area. I didnt't feel that was well recieved. Someone else pointed out that the tree report was not exactly a rigourous, academic study. The PC decided to seek a second opinion and perhaps (I thonk) contact the tree officer some conversation around the powerline ensued but after many minutes of arm waving and being ignored or closed down the agenda moved on. At that point I and some friends, decided that two hours down the road was enough for one night and that maybe the salient points been made, to some degree. I don't think local government is going to be my thing....

Doesn't surprise me that much... :(

I guess it shouldn't suprise me either....I'm old enough and wise enough to know how these things work (or more likely don't). I just find it frustrating that the people on the PC haven't done their research, don't understand their legal position, and are prepared to accept advice from only one source before taking a decision. Thats very amateurish, but then these folks aren't paid to do what they do and I should really appreciate all the effort they put in. Its also depressing to listen to people talking vaguely and from an uninformed position about a subject of which I have some knowledge (admitedly not professional but I do have some understanding). I have pointed out to them that I'm a woodland owner and have contacts but I'm not expecting to be asked to help...

It will be interesting now to see who they choose to undertake a second tree survey....we will see.

I pointed out that the PC didn't have the authority to make a decision, as the tree is in a conservatuon area.

Someone else pointed out that the tree report was not exactly a rigourous, academic study.

The PC decided to seek a second opinion and perhaps (I thonk) contact the tree officer some conversation around the powerline ensued.

1. Yes they do, it's a conservation area, they notify the tree officer and IF he/she has objections, they take it further.

2. No pictures yet, you're questioning a statement about the health of a dangerous tree (yes! It's dangerous, it's got a powerline through it!) by a surveyor, I don't know what you mean by rigorous and academic study, these things are dumbed down so non-tree people can understand them! Chuck in a few technical words and a picus scan and the tree would have gone by now!

3. That's good that they're getting a second opinion, but have you considered that the next one may notice more faults? Especially if the utilities cutters get there first and knock a lovely hole through it?