speedline attachment krabs/crabs

Gary Prentice

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we did our CS 31 rigging course earlier this year the instructor had made up a speed line kit, the slings were large prussic loops tied with double fishermans knots and the Krabs were DMM revolvers. It was the Rolls Royce of speed line kits for sure.

I tend to use normal sewn slings and steel triple action karabiners for the small stuff; where bigger lumps are to be sent out I have used the lowering kits pulleys to reduce the wear on the karabiner (we use blocks for the main lowering point and smaller pulleys to act as craning/redirects for the lowering line; it's these that I'm referring to here).

I've seen tandem pulleys used to spread the load on the line but strikes me as a little expensive as they would need to be purely for rigging.

I know that everyone will use something but what I'd like to know is what we should be using!

Using old krabs makes sense, but should we use anything that's been relegated from other rigging roles?

Depends why they have been relegated.

If a krab has been relegated from PPE to rigging it still needs to function correctly.

Here's a link to the current rigging research HSE document.

(If it works)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rigging+research&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=YLLNVbazOaa27galvqSIBA

I know that everyone will use something but what I'd like to know is what we should be using!

Using old krabs makes sense, but should we use anything that's been relegated from other rigging roles?

I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs here methinks... :)