550xp or Echo equivalent?

Old Mill Tree Care

So you've gone from hating them to having another. Cue another autotune abortion, not wishing it on you of course, but trusting it will disgrace itself sufficiently for one to realise there really is revelation elsewhere. No offence intended but two of your own posts earlier in this thread showed exasperation with the whole Husqvarna / Stihl "problem".

I'm not offended by your post. I've already laid down the facts (& my opinions) as to why the Echo doesn't fit and that explains why I've bought a 550xp.

Doesn't mean I don't still feel aggravated by my other two Husky saws. I hate 'em!

BTW, I also have other saws and hedge cutters and have no problems with any of them. They get used the same way and get given the same fuel and oil but don't have Auto Tune or M-Tronic.

Just saying.

:001_smile:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on then, point out what's wrong with it.

Oops that came out different than what meant to say so sorry about that.

It wouldn't just be a hassle it would be a load of shite if you had to use the saws as you explained.

Idling doesn't cause the saw problems, my t540 is always ticking over as do probably most top handle saws and the air filter doesn't need a daily clean. What info do you have that the saw resets itself if it's ticking over for more than 3 minutes as that would constantly cause problems

Oops that came out different than what meant to say so sorry about that.

It wouldn't just be a hassle it would be a load of shite if you had to use the saws as you explained.

Idling doesn't cause the saw problems, my t540 is always ticking over as do probably most top handle saws and the air filter doesn't need a daily clean. What info do you have that the saw resets itself if it's ticking over for more than 3 minutes as that would constantly cause problems

I was told that it resets after idling for 3 minutes then being turned off by husky technical.

But most of the information is gained from the patents, which are surprisingly detailed given that they are to stop people copying an idea!

Most of the problems come from partial throttle, which even on a 'normal' saw causes excessive coking. A decreased outlet on the muffler exacerbates the problem more. Poor running due to coked up ports has been seen on other machines, I believe there's one or two mentioned on the bench thread. If I got 1mm of overall coking after 50 hours, with intermittent running on aspen, I'm sure it's far worse on others equipment.

Regarding air filters, if you don't need to clean it daily, you're not working hard enough :biggrin: it does state in the manual that it's a daily clean, and they teach you that on a chainsaw course!

Just as a matter of intrest, the T540/550/560 all have compensator carbs, and centrafugal air cleaning, this should greatly reduce air filter cleaning intervals ( end of day cleaning is fine though ) i agree auto tune is blamed for every failure,they are lean burn engines, but it is still a two stroke engine with all the requirements of any other two stroke.

About 3 - 4 months ago the boss ditched a number of knackered Stihl saws and replaced them with 3 Echo CS450's. For the first three weeks the lads didn't like them and grabbed the remaining stihls first.

After the first month it became noticeable that the Echo's would be the first choice and the stihl's became the saws left on the hooks for the late-comers. He's now added two more and they're all getting hammered daily with no complaints from anyone.

I personally have 4 echo saws and their blower and find them all excellent and easy to start. They all took a few litres through them to reach their full potential.

Boss has now bought an echo as his personal saw and has confirmed that he will be replacing any future breakdowns with Echos :) :)

I was told that it resets after idling for 3 minutes then being turned off by husky technical.

But most of the information is gained from the patents, which are surprisingly detailed given that they are to stop people copying an idea!

Most of the problems come from partial throttle, which even on a 'normal' saw causes excessive coking. A decreased outlet on the muffler exacerbates the problem more. Poor running due to coked up ports has been seen on other machines, I believe there's one or two mentioned on the bench thread. If I got 1mm of overall coking after 50 hours, with intermittent running on aspen, I'm sure it's far worse on others equipment.

Regarding air filters, if you don't need to clean it daily, you're not working hard enough :biggrin: it does state in the manual that it's a daily clean, and they teach you that on a chainsaw course!

That goes without saying:laugh1:

No offense but I think the 3 minute reset doesn't work as I would have had to do the initial setup loads of times.

I just use the saws clean them maybe once a week and that's it.

No drama trying to start them, no complaints with power or running.

My advice is if it doesn't run and start properly take it into your dealer, if they can't sort it take it to Husqvarna.

You don't need to mess about, they just work! If not then your doing something wrong or the saw is a dodgy one.

That goes without saying:laugh1:

No offense but I think the 3 minute reset doesn't work as I would have had to do the initial setup loads of times.

I just use the saws clean them maybe once a week and that's it.

No drama trying to start them, no complaints with power or running.

My advice is if it doesn't run and start properly take it into your dealer, if they can't sort it take it to Husqvarna.

You don't need to mess about, they just work! If not then your doing something wrong or the saw is a dodgy one.

Personally, I think it's a statement so you don't just leave em ticking over, although adw has commented on another thread that it only resets the bottom end, now (I have a feeling that the techies are just as clueless as us in what actually happens with the carb).

Mine runs fine, but I believe that there are 2 kinds of saw users, those that can run a husky, and those that can't. The same names crop up time after time! :biggrin: