Makita Saw

Atilla

Hi Chaps.

New boy here with yet another of those which saw is best to buy questions.

Not a professional so don't need to look at all the toys on them shelfs.

got the odd tree to drop - safe open land, but mainly cutting up lots of old stuff and/or trimming wayward low hanging stuff.

I looked at the usual Husky and Stihl ranges, and all the countless arguments as to which is best etc.

Thought i'd narrowed it down to either the Husky 435 or Stihl MS211

However, being a Makita power tool fan i had to have a look at their offerings.

Pretty much decided now on the Makita EA4300F38C.

Seems to tick all the right boxes, but. and there is always a but.

The DCS5121 can be had for only another £20 more.

Value wise, it seems the 5121 option is a no brainer.

The question is, would it be a bit on the large/heavy side for occasional use??

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am one of many makita/dolmar fans on here. I had the 4300 model until recently. It was a really nice saw to both hold and use with plenty of grunt. I did my cs31 with it. Only got rid of it a few months ago due to it breaking down and after spending some money on it to get it going again, decided to trade it in and get a new dolmar from shavey off here.

Welcome Atilla

If you were thinking 435 or 211 presumably you were thinking around a 14inch bar. If you don't need bigger then get a saw to suit. If not cutting for a living no point in going oversize IMO, some will disagree though. Get a saw that suits what you have to cut. Smaller lighter saws are pleasant to handle and your cutting becomes a hobby rather than a chore. Longevity and reliability must be higher on your list than speed. Lots of good comment on here about makita/Dolmar. Handle as many contenders as you can and pick which you like the feel (and cost )of.

Thanks chaps.

Seems i was on the right lines then kit wise.

Must admit i am a bit of a brand tart when it comes to tools but sensible enough to know that even the 'best' brands occasionally produce a lemon.

What ever you get you will have changed it by this time next year :biggrin:

Don't let stubby talk you into getting a 365.

What size timber will you cut?

Check my 1st post . I did not specify any particular make . I just said get the best you can afford now coz it will never be enough ! :biggrin:

If your looking at Makita gear, your on the right road, Iam changing all of my sthil stuff cuss its made in china and iam having constant problems with the carbs, so get your self on to EBAY.DE its the german site, there are companies that sell the Makita gear, but the best part is its 60% cheaper than rip off UK and they will post it to you for abour £15. and the vibration speck is better than stihl or husky they use a double dampening and its one one or two awards for this teck, good luck type in Makita Kettensäge this is german for chainsaw Makita EA4300F38C 340 euro,,,, good luck