What's wrong with this Horse Chesnut?

Gillsgardening

A customer of mine has asked me to remove some limbs fron this tree, two over the last two years, however as you can see another branch is now dead and the leaves have brown spots all over what is it? The tree is covered by a Tpo, I presume the best thing is to apply with the council for a dismantle.

image.jpg.496320acb847ff184dc5557bbcaf996c.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spots on the leaves are the mines of the horse chestnut leaf minor - Cameraria ohridella. These are more of a cosmetic issue than anything else, although may affect the health of the tree in the very long-term.

There is something else that has caused the decline in this tree. It might be bleeding canker of horse chestnut - Pseudomonas syringae pv aesculi. It could also be root damage, drought, poisoning.

A customer of mine has asked me to remove some limbs fron this tree, two over the last two years, however as you can see another branch is now dead and the leaves have brown spots all over what is it? The tree is covered by a Tpo, I presume the best thing is to apply with the council for a dismantle.

[ATTACH]186242[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]186242[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]186242[/ATTACH]

Never presume anything, Horse Chestnuts put up with a lot of ailments, remember its one of the first trees to come into leaf, its one of the largest leaves and its out for the longest time. A lot of these ailments tend to be more of a visual problem, than a problem for the tree. Often the tree can cope.

Never presume anything, Horse Chestnuts put up with a lot of ailments, remember its one of the first trees to come into leaf, its one of the largest leaves and its out for the longest time. A lot of these ailments tend to be more of a visual problem, than a problem for the tree. Often the tree can cope.

I've never considered that!

Would you hypothesis from that, that the species has a higher than 'average' ability to tolerate P & D's?

We are currently trailing some injections on the leaf minor through the MTOA. The injections will hopefully help to reduce the amount of leafs becoming attacked and help in the health of the tree (although I'm not sure drilling holes at the base of a Horse Chestnut is a good idea). The leaf minor doesn't harm the tree in general but the moths can reduce the photosynthesis of the tree and thus reduce its health. It has also been said that moths are drawn to a tree for 6 years or so then move to another. Where I live there is a very large mature Horse Chestnut tree and the last few years it has always been attacked, this year not so much.

From the photos I would recommend getting up into the tree to remove the Ivy and see what else is going on. Has the house owner carried out any building works recently? it looks like the tree is close to the house and the dead branch is on the side of the house.

The spots on the leaves are the mines of the horse chestnut leaf minor - Cameraria ohridella. These are more of a cosmetic issue than anything else, although may affect the health of the tree in the very long-term.

There is something else that has caused the decline in this tree. It might be bleeding canker of horse chestnut - Pseudomonas syringae pv aesculi. It could also be root damage, drought, poisoning.

It would be interesting to take chlorophyll fluorescenceex readings over a number of years, to see how much they do effect them