Whats a load?

Tom D

8 cube stacked is only 2x2x2m. The size of a small garden shed. It's endlessly amusing that people will spend thousands on a stove installation and then cheap out on wood storage.

I really struggle to get any hardwoods properly dry in suburban surrey and have found I need to keep it out for at least two summers to get it below 25%, I can get them in full sun but the airflows just not there to get them dry.

Gotta get my bum in gear and build a new store at the front of my house where its a bit more draughty but still cant see apple,beech, oak etc being ready after one year.

Big field with no 6' larchlap round it is what I need.:001_smile:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my previous yard and the current one are on a hill by the sea, there's hardly a day when its not windy, it makes a massive difference. I have been back to jobs where we have left timber and the client has split it an stacked it in the garden, two years on its still mouldy and wet. Whereas 6 months in an exposed windy spot works wonders. The old yard....

IMAG0631.jpg.b9436321cc37793f36a6f7fe4cdc64d2.jpg

I can't see there being an issue getting timber dry in a 2x2x2 cube. My store at home is 5x2x2 and with the decent overhang it has, timber dries very rapidly. I don't stack it though - i find it dries quicker when thrown in.

• 2 weeks later...

I sell the majority of my kiln dried logs in 0.25m barrow bags. They are 0.5 x 0.5 x 1.0 but they do stretch and we reckon that we get about 0.35 in them. Our USP (unique selling point!) is that we deliver the volume they want to where they want it.

I don't drop the stuff on their doorstep and bugger off leaving them to clear it up! Customer service is about giving them what they want, when they want it and leaving them happy that they didn't have to get their hands dirty like they normally do.

They now know they can buy 2 or 3 bags, use a couple and get some more delivered. Its kiln dried so they can buy today and burn today.

I sell the majority of my kiln dried logs in 0.25m barrow bags. They are 0.5 x 0.5 x 1.0 but they do stretch and we reckon that we get about 0.35 in them. Our USP (unique selling point!) is that we deliver the volume they want to where they want it.

I don't drop the stuff on their doorstep and bugger off leaving them to clear it up! Customer service is about giving them what they want, when they want it and leaving them happy that they didn't have to get their hands dirty like they normally do.

They now know they can buy 2 or 3 bags, use a couple and get some more delivered. Its kiln dried so they can buy today and burn today.

Hi STEVE can I ask what you get per bag of that size in hard thanks Jon

I stopped shaking the bags as I fill them up to try and compensate for the fact the bags stretch. On 1m3 bag if you shake them to settle them down combined with the stretch it must be getting up towards 1.5m3 rather than 1m3?

I have seen on some pages where people are selling 90x90 bags and calling them 1.1m3, we only top up after seasoning if the bag looks exceptionally low there's always some shrinkage and settling.

I sell them as a "stovemix" bag, as my wood pile source is completely mixed. We are starting to seperate stuff out as it comes in and we can do a pure hardwood now if people ask for it (but they don't! - maybe 1 in 50?) and I charge a £10 per bag premium for it.

Bag prices, including delivery within 15 miles, are 1 bag @£47.50, 2 bags for £44, 3 bags for £41.50 and 4 bags for £37.50. If customers want to collect, I charge £40 per bag or £37.50 if they bring me a reuseable bag back. The bags are pretty robust, but if they have just dragged the barrow bag over concrete and there are holes all over it, then I would not be reusing the bag for someone else. If they have their own sack barrow and shift them about like that, then the bags can last 10+ uses.

I am looking at supplying the North/West London are this year as a possibility, so we might have to look at the delivery charges for that, but the prices I already have seem to be significantly lower than the London prices anyway, so I have some margin to work with.

My customer is the guy who wants more than the garage forecourt/garden centre net, but doesn't have the time/space/inclination to store wood for months prior to use.

The majority of people putting stoves in these days are of the "Just in Time" generation, they want to buy it now and use it now, and me to bring them some more when they are getting low.