Fracture Pruning Retrenchment on Fulham Oak

David Humphries

My only question is if your trying to promote crown reccesion then why the whole crown? Surley your trying to promote a natural cycle of an Oaks life? Where by its top dies out so it can concetrate more resources into the lower crown.QUOTE]

Marc, we have our well meaning and well conected local tree huggers to consider as well as the Tree.

This is a Very Prominant Tree, as well as it being a good looking Fulhamensis it is at the head of an avenue which is located at a main access point to this open space. So i guess aesthetics came into play when shaping.

I have uncomfortable images of what the local press would make of the team overly attempting to replicate retrenchment and true storm damage like the type 87 threw our way.

Will try to keep the post updated with pictures of regrowth throughout the year.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that this may be no more harmful to the tree (with certain species) and maybe even better than traditional cuts. It is not a new technique to split timber (oak and sweet chestnut) rather than saw them to extend their useful life. cuts and breaks that run with the grain are surely harder to penetrate than those which leave an open end-grain??????

• 2 weeks later...