lucky escape

testcricket01

Learn by this lucky near miss.

1. Don't be cash driven feel free to walk away from a job if you feel it needs more crew on site.

2. Never do work near powerlines you could have been in hospital or the morgue call the leccy board they would have cleared this (in time) to a safe distance for free just tell them kids are climbing the tree right on the line.

3. Tell your dad to do it himself if he feels its safe to do.

4. Have a beer tonight and take on board the input for future ref.

Luckily you can tell the story without any major incident.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Learn by this lucky near miss.

1. Don't be cash driven feel free to walk away from a job if you feel it needs more crew on site.

2. Never do work near powerlines you could have been in hospital or the morgue call the leccy board they would have cleared this (in time) to a safe distance for free just tell them kids are climbing the tree right on the line.

Luckily you can tell the story without any major incident.

Absoloutly with number one, i've done it once as i wasn't 100% sure i could get it right and with powerlines and a busy road I want very good odds, or at least finding a scenario where i can up my odds (i'e experienced groundcrew, traffic management, more kit options etc) and more money due to extra risk/complexity!!

I hate to admit it but i will work by insulated powerlines, i know the leccy board may do it for free, but i can do it for cold hard cash. Obviously not trees that are actually touching/chaffing/resting on lines, or bare cables going through canopy or under drip line, but the job in this thread yes i'd do it.

Going down the lecture route, this is the kind of thing i've talked about before, Testcricket your doing a job by a road and powerlines, your working for basically peanuts,,,, probably do not have PLI or ELI? And i hate to say it messed up a simple job in a very bad scenario (road + powerline) obviously no traffic management, did you even have anyone on the road just in case???

This is where accidents and injuries can happen very quickly.

You got lucky! Learn from it!

i just cant understand why you felled it!

i mean, youre up there allready, dismantled the awkward bit over the wires, and im guessing you would have loaded the wood on by hand, so why not chog it down in manageable lengths to 4 or 5 feet below the wires, then fell it, wouldnt have taken long atall, looking at the small size of the stump, less than 10 min-probabally less than it took you to set up a 4 pully pull line!

also youre groundie can be chucking the cord on the truck as you chog down, saving yourself work on the ground!

hey ho, lesson learnt :)

Spot on Josh!!!:thumbup:

IMO:tongue_smilie:

Absoloutly with number one, i've done it once as i wasn't 100% sure i could get it right and with powerlines and a busy road I want very good odds, or at least finding a scenario where i can up my odds (i'e experienced groundcrew, traffic management, more kit options etc) and more money due to extra risk/complexity!!

I hate to admit it but i will work by insulated powerlines, i know the leccy board may do it for free, but i can do it for cold hard cash. Obviously not trees that are actually touching/chaffing/resting on lines, or bare cables going through canopy or under drip line, but the job in this thread yes i'd do it.

Going down the lecture route, this is the kind of thing i've talked about before, Testcricket your doing a job by a road and powerlines, your working for basically peanuts,,,, probably do not have PLI or ELI? And i hate to say it messed up a simple job in a very bad scenario (road + powerline) obviously no traffic management, did you even have anyone on the road just in case???

This is where accidents and injuries can happen very quickly.

You got lucky! Learn from it!

was working with a guy i do work for who has all the relevent insurance, as for the road we had truck chipper signs and coned off the area but ive definetly learned dont trust the wind and walk away from jobs when i knew it was being done wrong.

If you got this guy in to help you to do a job that your dad arranged then his insurance is not going to be valid unless he quoted for it etc. You got him in and paid him day rate and did a job without insurance.

Thats how I see it. Just cos someoen on site has insurance, it doesn't mean that will cover other poeples mistakes.

full stops and comma's are awesome dude :-)

So are capital letters at the beginning of sentences if you're going to be like that. :wink:

Sounds like a rough day testcricket - what with all the hassle after the near-miss. Everyone learns by mistakes though - glad this one wasn't as serious as it could have been. Have a beer and pick yourself up for next week!

So are capital letters at the beginning of sentences if you're going to be like that. :wink:

Sounds like a rough day testcricket - what with all the hassle after the near-miss. Everyone learns by mistakes though - glad this one wasn't as serious as it could have been. Have a beer and pick yourself up for next week!

cheers, work again tomorow gotta crack on with big stuff so hope that all goes well