Strimmer wire

thorndene forestry

11 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

8 year thread revival, nice! The diamond edge square stuff is amazing, better than oregon flexiblade.  I use 4mm string in a fixed oregon jet fit head rather than a bump head.  You'll find that bump heads cant take as thick a string as fixed head ones.  When using the bump head, I use the thickest diameter string the manual says it can handle.

Remember the cc of your machine is equal to the line thats recommended. Stick 3 or 4 mm line on anything lower than 35cc and you can time the rotation of the head with a snails movement 

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

Ok manual doesn't say anywhere  what head it is but google tells me  a T45X.

WWW.HUSQVARNA.COM

Exclusively designed by Husqvarna the T45X trimmer head features a semi-automatic cord feed system “Tap’n go“ and...

Product Data
M12 L
Art no: 578 44 68‑01
Fits engine size 42-50cc
Cord size Min 2.7 mm
Cord size Max 3.3 mm
Ball bearing Yes

I use 4mm string in a fixed oregon jet fit head rather than a bump head.

Never tried the oregon jet head why are they better than a bump?

Ok the jet head takes a thicker cord, but 3.3m on the bump is pretty chunky but I imagine thats round stuff so 3.3mm square may not feed..

So 3mm square max prehaps....

4mm for grass seems OTT?

Huskys "strimmers" are   new for  me & im  trying to optimize it for mowing grass...

For brambles I have an oregon mulch blade...

Seems the M12 threads are different pitch so not compatible  with stihl heads.

Husky M12 1.75

Stihl M12 1.5

17 minutes ago, Stere said:

Ok manual doesn't say anywhere  what head it is but google tells me  a T45X.

WWW.HUSQVARNA.COM

Exclusively designed by Husqvarna the T45X trimmer head features a semi-automatic cord feed system “Tap’n go“ and...

Product Data
M12 L
Art no: 578 44 68‑01
Fits engine size 42-50cc
Cord size Min 2.7 mm
Cord size Max 3.3 mm
Ball bearing Yes

Never tried the oregon jet head why are they better than a bump?

Ok the jet head takes a thicker cord, but 3.3m on the bump is pretty chunky but I imagine thats round stuff so 3.3mm square may not feed..

So 3mm square max prehaps....

4mm for grass seems OTT?

Huskys "strimmers" are   new for  me & im  trying to optimize it for mowing grass...

For brambles I have an oregon mulch blade...

Seems the M12 threads are different pitch so not compatible  with stihl heads.

Husky M12 1.75

Stihl M12 1.5

Blades, fixed string heads and bump heads - Ive used them all to be honest their are arguments for each.  I have that Husqvarna bump head and it works well.

I agree with you that a bump head is probably fine for just medium height grass (under knee high) and say a 2.5mm - 3mm string. Any thicker string than this can cause feeding issues, plus at 3mm I'd stick to round string.  But if the string is properly assembled and lubricated, the bump feature means that you can go for hours without needing to change string.

When you need to tackle waist high grass, weeds or brambles, that's when you need blades or thicker string and a fixed head. Blades can help you push the capabilities of a medium sized machine, but your 545rxt will be fine with any of the above.  Personally I've gone off blades, because they seem to cause extra vibration and/or engine wear. I was forever replacing parts in the head.

I only use one setup at the moment - 53cc engine 555RXT, Oregon jet fit head and 4mm string.  The majority of what I cut is thick grass and brambles, this mulches everything in its path and turns it to dust. I get through two fuel tanks before I have to replace the 4mm string (one tank if cutting near rocks or fences).  It can even do some neater lawn height grass with reduced throttle (you need to pay attention and take your time to avoid scalping).

• Like 1