3mm groove?

Steve Bullman

i need to get some nice straight lenths of hazel to make a frame for a sign. the sign is 3mm thick and so on a 1" diameter length of hazel i am going to need a 1/2" deep 3mm groove cut along the length of it. whno would i be best going to for something like this? and how thick is a circular saw blade?

it will be a nightmare trying to put a groove on a stick mate, well it would be for me because i am hopeless with that kind of stuff. do you have some nice thick bits of hazel?cold you split them completely then glue it back together and sandwich it together, i know a carpenter will read this post and shout NO NO NO!!but its justa thought

I can imagine that you are going to have the pieces of hazel as a border for a sign. The best way I think would be to use a table saw with a retractable blade so you can control how far the grove is onto the wood... these would only leave a 3mm or so groove...

I have a table saw but virtually zero proper carpentry skills! :biggrin: But someone you know nearby must have one - it would only have to be a DIY type one.

my circular saw blade is 2.5mm not sure if you can get different widths, but that would involve spending money on a new blade, i do have a 3mm router bit but trying to route a groove accurately in a round uneven stick is going to be tricky especially if you need all your fingers, a chippy with a table saw would be your best bet, if i had to do it i would clamp the stick in a workmate with the stick flush with the surface of the workmate then clamp a straight edge parallel to the stick to act as a guide for the router.

good luck

Steve- get your hazel rods and plane one edge flat. That will be the edge that you groove. This means you will want thicker rods. Not a problem, as you will want thicker ones anyway as if they are too fine it will look weird. Once you have planed the straight edge then get the groove put in with a table saw or router table. You will have to do it like this as you will only have one straight edge(the one you planed). If you take your sticks to a joinery workshop they will be able to do it all for you in about half an hour. Sliding table saws have pretty thick saw blades, but a router in a table wouold be ideal. The only problem with it all is that for a circular saw or router to give a straight groove the wood has to be run along a fence parallel to the directin of cut. Using a hazel spar and only planing one face will not give you a straight edge to run along the guide fence though......so you will need to plane a second straight edge, detracting from the effect that you are trying to achieve. Perhaps if you framed the sign in a standard wooden frame and then attached a half round piece of hazel to the front face (pu glue or tacks etc) you would achieve the effect you are after. Hope that some use.