Are you Skin Cancer Savvy?

Katie at FoxMedics

Melanoma in other words Skin Cancer. How many of us never wear sun cream thinking we are immune to the rays of the sun :questionmark::blushing:

Working outdoors with only your string vest to protect you is not enough even when we believe the sun does not exist in our cloudy climate.

The most common sign of Melanoma can be an unusual shaped mole or an existing one that has changed shape, size or colour. They may be itchy or bleed and are most commonly found on the arms, legs, face or back but can appear anywhere on the body. A quick A,B,C,D,E as a guidance for checking existing moles if concerned.

A - Asymmetry (not even?) B - Border (grown?) C - Colour (changed?)

D - Diameter (enlarged?) E - Elevation (increased?)

BUT do not just use this as a definite, IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS :dontknow: go and get it checked out!! :thumbup:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call Katie . I am fortunate to have an oily Meditaranian type of skin and go dark very quickly . Am 62 now and no problems yet . I had a mate who was a carpenter . White blond hair . He got skin cancer and it spread very quickly to his lymph nodes and he died within a month of diagnosis . He would be the same age as me but died at the age of 37 .

I lost my first wife aged 28 to skin cancer, a malignant melanoma on her leg,and now my daughter is at the age when she wants to go on holiday with her friends, she has fair skin like her mother did but she's quite sensible putting sun block on, still a worry though.

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth | The Unbounded Spirit

This 20 year study of 30,000 people kind of dispels the myths surrounding exposure to sun and the 'positive' effects of suncreen......

and theres more.....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/20/deadly-melanoma-not-due-vitamin-d-deficiency.aspx

Edited by tommer9

I lost my first wife aged 28 to skin cancer, a malignant melanoma on her leg,and now my daughter is at the age when she wants to go on holiday with her friends, she has fair skin like her mother did but she's quite sensible putting sun block on, still a worry though.

that's too far too young.

a good enough reason to make people think again.

Goes to show we all need to be careful.

Im sorry Katie at fox medics, but it seems that the commonly held beliefs about sun exposure that we have all held are actually being realised now to be not only incorrect but positively dangerous, as many studies are starting to show!

Good to bring this to our attention :001_smile:

Until recently my work was predominantly indoor based but spent the last 3 years spending far more of my days working outside. We are up on Dartmoor which is about as cloudy as you get in England. Recently had to have an anomaly removed from my face. The Doc asked if I spent years abroad or holidayed in the sun which I have never done but even here the sun's rays can do their damage much to my surprise I might add. Now slap on the factor 40.

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth | The Unbounded Spirit

This 20 year study of 30,000 people kind of dispels the myths surrounding exposure to sun and the 'positive' effects of suncreen......

and theres more.....

Increase in Melanoma Skin Cancer NOT Caused by Sun Exposure

I will have a read of this later but one persons research does not stop the fact that sun damage does cause Melanoma, FACT. If I had a choice over Vit D deficiency then I would sooner have that and take supplements. My friends Dad has just been diagnosed and he has been told it is years of not covering up or wearing a hat.

Thanks for the input though.

Good to bring this to our attention :001_smile:

Until recently my work was predominantly indoor based but spent the last 3 years spending far more of my days working outside. We are up on Dartmoor which is about as cloudy as you get in England. Recently had to have an anomaly removed from my face. The Doc asked if I spent years abroad or holidayed in the sun which I have never done but even here the sun's rays can do their damage much to my surprise I might add. Now slap on the factor 40.

Really guys, these myths are starting to be proven as myths more and more......it seems the perceived wisdom is very very wrong!!

it seems that factor 40 could be the CAUSE of problems NOT the solution!!