M3 vosa today

Charlieh

yep looks right but you need a tacho as soon as you tow any chipper, even the baby ones. Just looked at the timberwolf website even the 190DH is under 1020kg.

Also to hold an O licence you need or need to employ some one who holds the CPC qualification and have you seen the costs involved?! It really can't be economically viable to obtain an O licence for a tranny and large chipper. You may as well have a 7.5tonner.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats right but here is the definition of restricted/

Restricted - To carry your own goods in the course of your trade or business in Great Britain you need a restricted licence. You must not carry goods for other people for hire or reward if you have a restricted licence. If you do, you could be fined and lose your licence.

Now I can see a restricted working out ok for a chipper but not say if you were towing a trailer full of logs? Particularly if you've just charged a customer to take it away? whats your thoughts.

even a restricted isn't cheap though!

Word your quotes so that you become the owner of the wood , chip, brash etc when they are loaded onto your vehicles. We tow trailers behind 7.5 tonners BUT on L.G.V licences, anything over 8250 kgs GROSS train weight class 1 or 2 licence.

M25 VOSA weighbridge at jnct 9 became my second home for a while until we got it right.

Was also told that Mogs carring a load could also need operators licence even if ag registered

I hold an 'O' licence, I think that if you thinking of uping to 7.5 Ton check that you are getting the latest engine you can afford! as old trucks will be dumped on the unsuspecting. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Have a look here this will worry us all!

re: Tacho's if you are 3.5T gross and you tow for hire or reward you need a tacho. However you do not need to use your Tacho if you are working within 30mile from you base (as the Crow fly's) Use a piece of string on you wall map! But go adrift and get caught you could loose everything Truck Chipper the lot. You do not need to use a Tacho for Private use, so tell some one a story that when plod or vosa rings they will back up.

And Finally, when asked if you know how heavy you are, tell them you are on the way to the weigh bridge. Just know where they are.

• 3 years later...

I am sorry to bring you down with a thud about the weigh bridge defence, VOSA or plod will require you to have a pre-booked appointment with the weigh bridge and proof of if with you.

Only a few weigh bridges are accepted buy VOSA as certified so the local tip will not do.

Try to avoid being over loaded as the fines are HUGE.. £ 100 per kg thats £10k for each tonne, I know someone who recently got caught 2 tonne over, thats £ 20k gone, big risk.

tacho is easy to use, a bit of hassle, but again big fines if caught.

Why risk your business !

Sorry to be a doom merchant just these people ( VOSA etc.. ) do not mess about and collect prosecutions for fun..

I am sorry to bring you down with a thud about the weigh bridge defence, VOSA or plod will require you to have a pre-booked appointment with the weigh bridge and proof of if with you.

Only a few weigh bridges are accepted buy VOSA as certified so the local tip will not do.

Try to avoid being over loaded as the fines are HUGE.. £ 100 per kg thats £10k for each tonne, I know someone who recently got caught 2 tonne over, thats £ 20k gone, big risk.

tacho is easy to use, a bit of hassle, but again big fines if caught.

Why risk your business !

Sorry to be a doom merchant just these people ( VOSA etc.. ) do not mess about and collect prosecutions for fun..

:confused1:Are you sure?????:confused1:

Have you got a link to some information stating this, I was told it was £1000 per tonne.

I was 2 tonne over a few years ago and was fined £350.