Chain oil

Windy_miller

ps a complete novice with a 30 inch bar raised concerns

More than raise concerns. We should be telling OP to put the saw in the shed and get something smaller till he knows more about cutting. So, put that saw in the shed and go get something smaller, along with basic training, PPE and so on. If I recall basic felling starts with a max 15 inch bar...

You don't need to go on a chainsaw course to use a chainsaw. You do need common sense tho. My dad and granfer never did a course and they were quite safe. As for oiling the bar my old granfer used to use a fairy liquid bottle with oil in it and squirt it on the bar of the old homelite when it got hot!

C'mon chaps the op didn't ask if we thought he was qualified, just about the saw oiling.

Hi all

I'm a complete novice when it comes to chainsaws. I recently bought a second hand ms441 with a 30" bar, but when I'm using very little oil appears to be getting to the chain.

So my question is how lubricanted does the chain have to be?

Very little or none at all? As said before, aim the end of the bar at a piece of cardboard to see if oil is coming out. If there is some then turn the oil adjuster screw up to max that should be right for a 30 inch bar of a saw that size.

If none comes out there maybe a blockage. Take bar and chain off clean bar grooves and oil holes in bar and try again. If still no oil then maybe pump blocked. Let us know

You don't need to go on a chainsaw course to use a chainsaw. You do need common sense tho. My dad and granfer never did a course and they were quite safe. As for oiling the bar my old granfer used to use a fairy liquid bottle with oil in it and squirt it on the bar of the old homelite when it got hot!

C'mon chaps the op didn't ask if we thought he was qualified, just about the saw oiling.

:thumbup1: However did people manage before there was a course ....?

:thumbup1: However did people manage before there was a course ....?

:thumbup:

If it were me, I'd be binning the 30" bar for something better suited to that size saw (18-20") but oiling wise, first thing I'd check is that the oil hole in the bar is clear and the rails are clear too - could be as simple as that.

Hi all

Thanks for all the replys. Unfortunately I haven't long finished work and thought it mildly anti-socish to go outside and ringing the guts out the saw.

Thank you for all that were concerned for my Saftey with said saw, I have to admit that on our first outing I was apprehensive, but being that I commonly work at height ride sports bikes go skiing got sent to scout camp as a child, I thought I can negate risk with you tube instructional videos!