Elbow pain?

hamdogg

Reduce the amount of one handed chainsaw action you do.

My tennis elbow pain (& back pain) vanished when I started climbing on an SRT system.

SRT has really helped mine as well Al.

I never one-handed that much though, it's just bloody idle.

Too many lads seem indoctrinated into 'hold with left, cut with right, throw' even if they're cutting over a paddock or somewhere with absolutely zero targets.

I reckon I one-hand every day, but pick my moments. If you one-hand all day you will finish your climbing career early.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I got with it when i first started climbing, I went to see a sports physio and they did some checks. She said for someone who climbs i had weak upper back (climbing) muscles. I was using my biceps, and brachialis to pull the rope through the prussic, which caused the muscle to become overused and tight, this would then pull on the tendon in the elbow causing pain. They gave me some corrective exercise to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles to keep the shoulder in place and to strengthen the scapular and lats. She said if I had kept on climbing like that, I would have damaged my shoulder eventually.

A good test is, if you do a wide grip pull up and use your biceps then you're doing it wrong, you should drive your elbows down and pull with your lats.

tennis elbow

Athletes Training Athletes :: Blog

I had tendonitis in my right elbow in January - it took 3 months and an enforced very easy time at work to clear up, even swinging the saw on the ground aggravated it.

It still flares up now if I have a hard day climbing or feeding the chipper. The next day is when it's worst. You've got to stop doing what's causing it - that's what worked with me.

enrieb - what were the exercises you were given?