Extensive risk assesment

Andymacp

Dialogue between client and contractors is the way forward and compromise and amendments are the result but when you ask why they require a certain amendment which wouldn't actually change the outcome and the reason is simply 'because I think so' with no back up sometimes you have to stand your ground but in a positive calm way, no shouting stamping feet or toys out the pram but providing evidence to support your assessment.

To the op ask the client what further information they require and if it's a reasonable request fine.

Thats the bit that gets me because i THINK so no suggestion of evidence or reasoning.

Most of the time its justifying his own job.

My cousin has retrained and become a health and safety advisor after a nasty accident but he spent 30 years on the tools so can communicate what he wants quite clearly with out getting all high and mighty. He is now working for some of the biggest names in the construction industry and has changed more for the better than they have for the last 10 years just by bringing a common sense attitude.

Something other advisors could learn a lot from

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What you misunderstood....

2. ..... a little Hitler out to make his mark with the first contractors on site obviously doesn't understand what he's talking about.

3. We frequently specify that our working area is under our control and out of bounds to anyone ells on site which actually go's down well with most sites we work on.

1. No - I get that bit

2. Still not helping with the old communications strategy are you....

3. Ah yes, but do remember that it is my sandpit and my football. You can play when I say so and not before. Those are the rules.

My cousin has retrained and become a health and safety advisor after a nasty accident but he spent 30 years on the tools so can communicate what he wants quite clearly with out getting all high and mighty. He is now working for some of the biggest names in the construction industry and has changed more for the better than they have for the last 10 years just by bringing a common sense attitude.

Something other advisors could learn a lot from

I need to have a word with this guy - seems he is letting the OSH side down.....

I need to have a word with this guy - seems he is letting the OSH side down.....

Little wonder your not making much of an impact on here with your attitude.

I think a lot of HS advisors need to have there ego massaged and caressed the ones that don't usually leave a lasting impression with there no nonsense approach.

Its a serous subject but doesn't need ramming down your throat.

1. No - I get that bit

2. Still not helping with the old communications strategy are you....

3. Ah yes, but do remember that it is my sandpit and my football. You can play when I say so and not before. Those are the rules.

1, good then that's no longer an issue

2, communication by its vary nature is 2 way and by that I mean not being dictated to but listend to when explaining why thing are done within this industry in certain ways.

3, problem is you asked me to come play and need my mates to play aswell or you don't get to play the next round with the next team when you're employer tells you too and

then wants to know why. These things should be sorted long before anyone ever sets foot on site and not at 9am on day 1 like is so often the case.

So pray tell what your link to this industry is to qualify this lofty position you have given yourself?

This is turning into the classic H & S type argument here! Common sense has run out of the room and everyone is shouting.

The old rules of read & write & reason have all but disappeared. Folk are not allowed to reason as they, firstly, have to be trained to do/perform certain operations by others who have no idea of reality. This leads to confusion and hence to accidents..........

There should be a procative asessment of any job, not a reactive one.

Back to the OP, in all honesty I'd avoid and let someone else do this work if it is one that becomes involved with too much minutiae. You'll never actually be able to get on!

codlasher

These things should be sorted long before anyone ever sets foot on site and not at 9am on day 1 like is so often the case.

So pray tell what your link to this industry is to qualify this lofty position you have given yourself?

... but I also want to see that at 9am I have the right people you said you would send, their valid tickets if I haven't seen them before and a current (ie dynamic) assessment of the situation today - not yesterday or last year.

My link to this industry..... is this relevant? Am I not merely climbing the other side of the tree to the critics on the forum of the work I do?

This is turning into the classic H & S type argument here! Common sense has run out of the room and everyone is shouting.

The old rules of read & write & reason have all but disappeared. Folk are not allowed to reason as they, firstly, have to be trained to do/perform certain operations by others who have no idea of reality. This leads to confusion and hence to accidents..........

There should be a procative asessment of any job, not a reactive one.

Back to the OP, in all honesty I'd avoid and let someone else do this work if it is one that becomes involved with too much minutiae. You'll never actually be able to get on!

codlasher

so;

you think its about compromise and reason - so long as its your reason that counts as anyone else (who clearly has no idea of reality) isn't qualified to judge you?

and because these checks are made then accidents can occur?

and.. there should be proactive assessments - but you advise the OP not to bother as this is minutiae

I am :confused1: