200t prob

philip2011

hi people any suggestions on way my 200t slightly revs up when i release the chain brake ? all fuel mix correct etc any suggests and solutions would be fab cheers phil

The chain brake locks the clutch drum in place, if the saw picks up revs when it is released, it possibly means something is binding slightly between the clutch/crank and clutch drum!

Is the chain spinning or edging forward on idle? If it is, your clutch springs are in need or replacing or your needle bearing is binding.

If the chain doesnt creep forward, it sounds like you may have an air leak in the clutch side seal - I notice when doing leak down tests that these saws can leak if the crank is pushed to ons side - just down to the needle crank bearings and hardened seals!

thanks for the reply yes it creeps slightly so need new springs and needle bearing ?

Most likely the springs, the needle is damn strong on these machines and only changed one in the loads I have done.

Use the plastic Stihl double ended stop and spin the clutch off CLOCKWISE - left hand thread. The springs are under £5 and can be fitted by hooking one end and using a length of string through the other hook to make extending it easier:thumbup:

Clean the drum and clutch up and grease the needle.

DO NOT:thumbup: START THE MACHINE without the bar and chain in place - the clutch can spin off:blushing::thumbdown:

Most likely the springs, the needle is damn strong on these machines and only changed one in the loads I have done.

Use the plastic Stihl double ended stop and spin the clutch off CLOCKWISE - left hand thread. The springs are under £5 and can be fitted by hooking one end and using a length of string through the other hook to make extending it easier:thumbup:

Clean the drum and clutch up and grease the needle.

DO NOT:thumbup: START THE MACHINE without the bar and chain in place - the clutch can spin off:blushing::thumbdown:

spot on thanks will get them ordered cheers people

It's so dangerous to have broken or worn out clutch springs on a chainsaw you take up a tree. Good on you for sorting it out promptly.

And that is why I remove and inspect the springs on any full refurb I do and fit new if the hooks have any wear in them.

Just done four MS200s over the course of the weekend, most of them needed new springs!