Any keen indoor rowers out there ?

welwell

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the video is a bit grainy and Harry was never the best public speaker. He was arguably one of the best rowing coaches ever.

If you can listen/watch the video you may pick up some technique tips.

We used to 'borrow' his coaching when training down in Banyoles. The Cambridge blue boat had 2 weeks there every new year and our training camp coincided. (My coach was Spanish and had a big house overlooking the lake.)

When we could, we would scull alongside their boats and just action whatever Harry said to his crews. Whether in a single, double or quad we'd go faster as a result. Absolutely amazing man.

I have a concept 2 though it hasn't had a bashing for a while now. The rowperfect is probably the better machine as technique is essential, whilst the concept 2 or water rower can be beasted without any finesse.

[ame]

[/ame]

I think this is the same questions as "Sthil or Husqvarna" or "Toyota or Land Rover".

I have the water rower. It depends where you look online as to which is best. I think they are both brilliant pieces of kit. Just down to personal preference I think.

Cheers. I take it it's worth spending a bit extra to get a decent one.

I've only use one down the gym a few times years ago and it was the only thing I enjoyed, I thought if I get a goodun it's less likely to collect dust and it might help stop the middle age spread spreading.

living round the corner from dorney lake i got to see the paralympics and on the way to your stand there were loads of olympic tents some of which had rowing machines in.

they sat you down in fours and you were in a race. never having rowed before i fell off my seat and after the nice lady got me back on i didn't bother rowing that hard as i knew i would not win the computer game we were hooked up to. well actually i came first out of the four of us and was 1st on the timing screen.

as we came back from the grandstand a few hours later i walked back over to the tent as i wanted to see if i was still on the screen, i was 4th... i fell off my seat and did not row for 10 out of the 50seconds everyone else rowed and i was still 4th out of the whole day.

maybe i should take it up???

I think for us arbs getting the technique correct is hard. We are so conditioned to using our arms to work that reigning them in and letting the legs do the hard graft isn't as easy as it first sounds.

I'm rowing at least 5 days each week now. 1/2 an hour at a time. Covering between 6.5 and 7 km at a stroke rate of 30 and a split of 2m10s for 500m

From reading around this is still off the mark by some way and I should expect to get into the high 1m50's So there's a bit of work needed on my behalf. I've been at it for 3 weeks or so if guess.

That's pretty good for three weeks in. I struggle to use it consistently, one week I'll do loads then the next work takes over.

I'm in the 1:50 500m range over 2k, some way off my old times though, used to do 2 k in just over 6 minutes.

That's pretty good for three weeks in. I struggle to use it consistently, one week I'll do loads then the next work takes over.

I'm in the 1:50 500m range over 2k, some way off my old times though, used to do 2 k in just over 6 minutes.

1.50 seems like a long way off for me at the moment and 2k in 6mins even further.