Help needed cutting large limb!

Djvicke1

I've been asked to do some work for a local landscaping firm, they want me to climb and cut a large limb (roughly 2-3ft diameter) off a beech tree.

It's out of my comfort zone to be honest but as a beginner climber I want the experience, I've said I will do it but now I'm worried as I haven't really done any limbs that big yet.

I can free fall it into a field so no obstacles below. Any advice on the kind of cut to use as I'm sure that size timber will react differently to smaller limbs?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go up as far as you can, and take it down in bits, instead of one big one.

If confidence is the issue, then start small. Less to go wrong.

Though on another note, that's a whopper of a limb, and could cause huge damage to the tree. With such a large diameter on the limb, the tree must be quite big, so is the tree not protected?

I'm not a climber or anything like that just a back yard firewood cutter but I like reading all the sections of the forum. I would like to know what angle the branch is attached to the main trunk and have you got a saw big enough to cut it off in one ?

Definitely branch walk out and drop it in smaller bits, you don't want a branch that size ripping down the trunk or trapping your saw. Presumably you'll have a second climber with you, as best practice and especially as you're outside of your comfort zone. Maybe they can guide you? Good luck...

Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to look at it in the next couple of days as the job will be next week so will update you with the specifics when I know.

I've got cs39 (basically a trainee climber) My climbings ok but a bit slow and I can branch walk and have done large-ish limbs in the past by dropping it in bits but I suggested that and he shook his head and said to do it in one (he's not a tree surgeon).

He wants me to take just this limb off and then put a winch in the tree to fell it.

If after looking at it I'm still doubtful I might just ask my mate who's more experienced to do it, although I hate having to say I can't do it :laugh1: