Dirty diesels contributing to air pollution

SteveA

Tell me about it; had a Saab 3.0 Tid with water cooled egr; what a complicated system.

Overblown - good way of putting it; higher and higher bmep's with narrower oil galleries needing thinner oils. And people wonder why I like old cars!

The reason I have kept my 1999 Amazon so long. Since the cost of raw materials went up everything is made as light as possible. They almost seem to be making vehicles to break. Not convinced I need 240 bhp and the complexity and size of a v8 in family tow truck.

You have ten times my knowledge on lube oils tcd but i have heard to get oils low soot they have taken a lot of the additives out that benefit older engines ? So the idea of buying the most expensive highest spec oil on the shelf may actually harm an engine. I guess as always best to fit what is specified

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obsession with clean "looking"exhaust emissions is causing respiratory problems because of the ultra fine particulates. A diesel clunker from years gone by belched black smoke which settled on the ground as soot which is probably the lesser of the two evils. Anyway the easiest way to cut emissions is to improve the roads systems so journeys take a fraction of the time. You could start with the nonsensical traffic lights at Brookwood that have a permanent quarter of a mile tailback every way 24/7 ,this tailback miraculously does not exist when the lights fail which cuts my journey time and emissions on a 5 mile round trip to my other yard by an amazing 50%. There are tens of thousands of these traffic systems in place that are not fit for purpose.

Bob

You have ten times my knowledge on lube oils tcd but i have heard to get oils low soot they have taken a lot of the additives out that benefit older engines ? So the idea of buying the most expensive highest spec oil on the shelf may actually harm an engine. I guess as always best to fit what is specified

Sometimes it's a curse lol. Yeah, these low saps oils - so as not to poison the catalyst; you can't win. Initially the removal of traditional minerals i.e Phosphorous led to problems with valve train durability, particularly engines with sliding cam followers; other additives are used to aleviate the problem but I doubt with such success; it's like 4 star TEL and valve seats all over again!

As you know, I'm a serious fan of RL oils; if you compare their traditional 15W40 specific DEO to the 5W40 there's not a lot in it in data terms (cSt, HTHS etc); however the detergent package (TBN) and higher mineral package of the 15/40 is why RL don't always promote this option for light passenger cars whereas the 5/40 has been pushed thru the likes of VW 50# specs and all the rest of it and has a reduced add pack. All the while, the POE basestock in RL is a major insurance policy irrespective of the particular add pack pros and cons; there are no other group 5 oils that can reassure me in the same way. You can email RL and dave will get back to you with specific guidance to your application.

You are right; the latest CH-4+ oils (CI and CJ) are often low saps lacking the guts to do the job; there is a good article on the TurboDieselRegister.

In our own tests, cannot yet find a lube that exceeds RL for maintaining MOFT in bearings (load carrying capacity - film strength), resisting HT oxidation and shearing. Unbelievable stuff, the holy grail for sure.

Mindful that Toyota had a bit of a rep for sludging, I'd be bunging some RL 15W40 in there.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Main problems with diesel engines is people run them with little servicing. Electric vehicles are charged using Coal and Nuclear.

But even a coal-electric car emits a*lot less due to the efficiency of a power station running at near optimal load pretty much all the time.

But they are/ and could also be charged with renewables. cheers, steve

Our electric car runs on about 70% of our own solar in summer, the rest is imported renewables:thumbup: