Beech-Rigging-video

RC0

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats an impressive bit of kit you've got there used in an equally impressive way. I'm very glad I didn't get down the GRCS or Hobbs route yet. Very enjoyable and informative video that, thank you.

By the way, any chance of seeing the POV footage of the lump bouncing around at 1min 58sec on the second vid. From that video angle I cant believe you didnt flinch just a little bit!!

Video editing really is a boring, uninspiring task….especially when its your own work that you’ve already had to experience in reality. So thank you all for the interest and kind words of commendation….it does almost make it feel worth while after all.

Tim, from what I was told the tree was condemned as part of an insurance requirement, although how true that was is anyone’s guess.

Marc, it is essential that both lines are tensioned and that the lower rigging point/block is positioned as close to the cut as possible….this is what restricts the logs movement at that end after the cut has been made. Notice also that the cuts used were step-cuts but with the back-cut above the front-cut to stop the log shooting back at me. The technique should be avoided if ever free-falling wood though, as it can take your saw with it (for anyone who didn’t know).

By the way, any chance of seeing the POV footage of the lump bouncing around at 1min 58sec on the second vid. From that video angle I cant believe you didnt flinch just a little bit!!

Steve jnr used the two spars to stop the momentum of the rotating log….had he let-it-run straight away it probably would have wrapped itself around the trunk and gotten us in a tangle. On camera it looks quite dangerous which is why I slowed it down for extra effect, but in reality it couldn’t get through to me….

Thanks again

The technique should be avoided if ever free-falling wood though, as it can take your saw with it (for anyone who didn’t know).

i learnt that not long after i started climbing on a big ash, i was scared to death and wouldnt go far enough away from the stem, too the saw right out my hand, luckily i used to unclip the saw for cutting when i first started:blushing:its the way i was shown by my boss before i get a bashing for it:ohmy:

Marc, it is essential that both lines are tensioned and that the lower rigging point/block is positioned as close to the cut as possible….this is what restricts the logs movement at that end after the cut has been made. Notice also that the cuts used were step-cuts but with the back-cut above the front-cut to stop the log shooting back at me. The technique should be avoided if ever free-falling wood though, as it can take your saw with it (for anyone who didn’t know).

Thanks for the explanation Reg, i did wonder why you was doing an outboard step cut but i was sure there was good logic to why you was doing it that way.