• Conservative
    • Green Party
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

I don't - I would prefer the Norwegian model:

''The Norwegian economy is a prosperous mixed economy, with a vibrant private sector, a large state sector, and an extensive social safety net. The government controls key areas, such as the vital petroleum sector, through extensive regulation and large-scale state-majority-owned enterprises.'

Are you in favour of fracking, so we will have the money for such a system??:thumbup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really????? how??????

Over a trillion and growing, what will you consider it too much??????:confused1:

Its not what I personally consider acceptable, its what the financial markets will allow. Heres a quote from the Royal economics society that shows how much room for manouvere the UK has:

'Their study, which is published in the February 2013 issue of the Economic Journal, finds ample fiscal space for Australia, Korea and the Nordic countries. For the UK and the United States, the study finds around 50-75% of GDP of remaining fiscal space.'

Technically we didn't go bust you're right but look at the maths,

A press clipping from the time:

British government unveils £37bn banking bail-out plan | Business | The Guardian

All in we spent around £80,000,000,000 bailing out the banks, but our national debt is £1600,000,000,000.

John Major handed Blair a debt of £360,000,000,000. By 2008 just before the bank bailout it was almost double that, despite there having been years of "boom" in the economy.

Even more scary is that despite all the "austerity" the debt has continued to rise over the last 5 years. It will take decades to pay back. These are decades where our services and economy and ultimately us will suffer, all for the price of a little honesty.

The current cuts are only an effort to reduce the amount we spend each year more than our income, I believe its currently 90billion.

So at the moment each year we borrow 90billion, adding to the over one trillion we already owe.

We spend more on the interest on the borrowed money than we do on defence.

Do people really want this problem rolling up and handing on to our children???

Technically we didn't go bust you're right but look at the maths,

A press clipping from the time:

British government unveils £37bn banking bail-out plan | Business | The Guardian

All in we spent around £80,000,000,000 bailing out the banks, but our national debt is £1600,000,000,000.

John Major handed Blair a debt of £360,000,000,000. By 2008 just before the bank bailout it was almost double that, despite there having been years of "boom" in the economy.

Even more scary is that despite all the "austerity" the debt has continued to rise over the last 5 years. It will take decades to pay back. These are decades where our services and economy and ultimately us will suffer, all for the price of a little honesty.

I'd have to check the figures but as I understand it the borrowing cost for the UK are at, or near, all time lows of around one percent, so we don't have a crisis. At some point I would expect politicians to increase taxation, but not before a election!

The current cuts are only an effort to reduce the amount we spend each year more than our income, I believe its currently 90billion.

So at the moment each year we borrow 90billion, adding to the over one trillion we already owe.

The same applies to the environment, but all election decisions seem to revolve only around money.

I think the state of affairs we're handing on to future generations is very worrying. We're already asking the next generation to buy houses at what? four, five, six times salary when we paid three. We're also asking them to pay for their university education, if they want one, when ours was free (personally I didn't go, but as a generation I mean). On top of that taxation will need to rise at some point. Its not good.

Your forgetting the 1 key thing; the money supply has been privatised. Under the current system It is impossible to pay back the debt, the debt will only keep on growing, your children and your children's children add infinitum are doomed to suffer austerity no matter what you or I do. The point is, you are not supposed to pay back the debt. The debt is the means of control, the control of everything. You really DO need to understand properly what Iceland have done.