Which sunglasses?

jrose

Hi all,

With the past few bright days, I'm after a decent pair of sunglasses for while driving and occasionally while climbing.

Looking to spend a few quid for a half decent pair, but probably not into £100 rayban/oakley etc! Maybe £30-40ish? What's best to go for on this range?

Cheers

Joe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

With the past few bright days, I'm after a decent pair of sunglasses for while driving and occasionally while climbing.

Looking to spend a few quid for a half decent pair, but probably not into £100 rayban/oakley etc! Maybe £30-40ish? What's best to go for on this range?

Cheers

Joe

Look as the right sunglasses as an investment for at least 10 years use and the extra dosh doesn't seem quite that much then.

Ray Ban and Persol make toughened glass lenses, the beauty of these is that they last for years and dont get scratched so easy as the plastic ones - hell I have Wayfarers from the 80s in perfect condition.

Cost wise - try here Sunglasses Ray-Ban, Arnette, Carrera, Persol, Oakley : Visual-Click they ship from Spain and can vouch that the glasses are 100% original and not some cheap tat - I can tell and have purchased 3-4 pairs from them between the Mrs and myself!!!

They often have 10-15% off voucher codes so worth waiting for.

Favourites are

Gradient Ray Ban Aviators - Top Gun Specials

Vintage Wayfarers - classic doesn't go out of style!

Balorama wraps for the Dirty Harry look

Persol 649s - I really like the finish on these - very well made with nice hinge detail and the Meflecto flexible arms make these comfortable.

Personally I like tortoishell with green lenses - just my thing.

I do have a pair of 1980s Wayfarers (black) and 1990s Ray Ban predators (tortoishell) I need to sell!

Do a bit of work on the sizing as some can be pretty large!

I can recomend this sita and they are about the best value online:thumbup:

Hi all,

Cheers

Joe

HI JROSE FOR WORK ive a pair of US ARMY SAW FLYS there great ray ban thanks jon :thumbup:

Wow spud you appear to be a sunglasses connosoire!😄 I was gonna suggest dirty dogs I've had a pair for about 6 yrs, I believe you can have prescription lenses put in em as well.

Trouble is that one pair just isn't enough:blushing::lol:

I guess if you wearing them climbing then plastic lenses may be the way to go and get something like Oakleys but they aren't my sort of thing!

Wraps are good for driving as they cut the sideways glare when the sun is on your drivers side of the car/waggon

I like the Aviators and are in fashion in a big way at the moment - gradient lenes look pretty good - blue or grey lenses look good.

The website I pointed out also does prescription lenses:thumbup:

I saw a pair I paid £90 from this site for £175 at Gatwick....I rest my case:thumbup:

Thank you spud, plenty on there to look at!

It's mainly for driving and the rare days off I want them, was told by the optician last time I went that my eyes are more susceptible to UV damage than most due to being very blonde and blue eyed... hence the looking for a decent pair. However, I know I am somewhat likely to end up doing something with them on!

Will take another look at ray ban if they are scratch resistant, quite like the idea of the Dirty Harry look!

It's mainly for driving and the rare days off I want them, was told by the optician last time I went that my eyes are more susceptible to UV damage than most due to being very blonde and blue eyed... hence the looking for a decent pair. However, I know I am somewhat likely to end up doing something with them on!

Will take another look at ray ban if they are scratch resistant, quite like the idea of the Dirty Harry look!

HI JROSE for in the car i got a pair of MAUI JIM KAHUNA THERE GREAT:thumbup: THANKS JON

Ive had 4 pairs of Oakley over the last 15/16 years & tried many more.

For driving anything with wrap around polarized vr28 black iridium lenses is unbeatable, great for bright sunlight, ordinary light flickering light driving under trees & increasing contrast of colours aiding visibility.

Even improve visibility driving in heavy rain.. :thumbup:

The 2 pairs I use currently are 10 years old... Before that one pair I gave to a Girlfriends daughter the other ones, one lens got impaled by a splinter flying of a sledge hammer splitting logs with steel wedges.... I figure they ernt there keep. :sneaky2:

Anything called Crystal are glass, the G15 Ray Ban lense is also glass as far as I know without looking. I like glass lenses as they can take a bit of abuse and they clean up well!

I don't think you will get better prices - my Aviators were around £80 and the euro has weakened significantly since then :thumbup: