My accident

sean

Good luck I know how tricky it can be. I don't think people have made paths difficult for chair deliberately and your efforts just might make some of them easier. I was asked for some advice when a canal tow path was being opened nearby and on one steep bit I suggested a viewing area that was level so pushers and these able to push themselves had a good excuse for a rest. The volunteers started almost as soon as I had suggested it and 2 hours later there it was just needing a fence round it as a steep drop to the canal. I look forward to seeing and hearing about you efforts.

Paul

Powerful image Sean

If you haven't already, have a chat with the ATF about the access issue.

I'm sure they would be very interested.

You're probably well versed and aware of the 'The Disability Discrimination Acts, 1995, 2005 and the Disability Discrimination Regulations, 2003'

An interesting look at how it applies to countryside/woodland access here.....

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/OPENspace_Disabled_access_Task1.pdf/$FILE/OPENspace_Disabled_access_Task1.pdf

Good luck I know how tricky it can be. I don't think people have made paths difficult for chair deliberately and your efforts just might make some of them easier. I was asked for some advice when a canal tow path was being opened nearby and on one steep bit I suggested a viewing area that was level so pushers and these able to push themselves had a good excuse for a rest. The volunteers started almost as soon as I had suggested it and 2 hours later there it was just needing a fence round it as a steep drop to the canal. I look forward to seeing and hearing about you efforts.

Paul

It's not the paths im finding frustrating to be honest as my Mountain Trike is proving to be a great bit of kit. It's the fact that I can't actually access the paths. I have researched a little and have found out that new kissing gates etc have to be able to be used by wheelchair users but replacing all obstacles with easy access would cost a fortune I guess. It's very early days and I havent a clue what the answers are but in time I hope to become more informed and take it from there.

Powerful image Sean

If you haven't already, have a chat with the ATF about the access issue.

I'm sure they would be very interested.

You're probably well versed and aware of the 'The Disability Discrimination Acts, 1995, 2005 and the Disability Discrimination Regulations, 2003'

An interesting look at how it applies to countryside/woodland access here.....

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/OPENspace_Disabled_access_Task1.pdf/$FILE/OPENspace_Disabled_access_Task1.pdf

Cheers David. I have been ploughing through legislation and looking at all the issues involved. The Forest of Avon path was put together "To get Bristolians out of the city and into the countryside". I can already see from all the maps how inaccessible a lot of it is for people with disabilities. I'm quite excited about doing this to see not just what I am capable of but also to maybe doing something positive, not just for people but also the trees along the route.

An all too familiar sight for me. I'm starting to realise how inaccessible my beloved countryside is to me due to steps, stiles, kissing gates etc.

prior to my accident I wanted to complete the 42 mile Forest of Avon path which circumnavigated Bristol. The aim was to record all the veteran/ ancient trees that grow within 15mtrs (the Reccommended RPA as instigated by the ATF). This is something that I am still determined to do at some point. I have in fact started looking at the maps etc. this will now involve willing mates to help me achieve this if at all. I do not mind dragging myself along the ground to by pass kissing gates, try and get over stiles etc as they carry my chair over. As well as fulfilling a personal ambition I could show the difficulties the disabled face when it comes to getting in to the outdoors. I'm not advocating ripping up the countryside in fact I do not know how I really feel on the subject to be honest. I know that a mission such as this will fulfil a number of things though.

Hi Sean.

I would be willing to help with your mission and record veterans with you. Drop me a p.m and we could organise a session.

Hi Sean.

I would be willing to help with your mission and record veterans with you. Drop me a p.m and we could organise a session.

Nice one Jake. We could do a recce on the Pensford/Dundry or Pensford/Keynsham section.