Sale Rep for Stump Grinding

Stefan Palokangas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For stump grinding I think it would be a good idea to email every landscaper/gardener in the area, they prob come across plenty of stumps in there way on a daily basis!

And perhaps offer a "Job Finders Fee" either straight payment or percentage of price, on confirmation of job. That way you'll only pay for work coming in and not the prospect of work :001_smile:

Hey Stephan

I set up grinding about a year ago. I regularly spend a few hours on google and find all the local gardeners/builders/arbs etc to send letters to. By doing this I have secured a few good contacts, although I would say that the success rate for a letter isn't very high. I expect a lot are put straight in the bin. Even those that are read often have a few months turnaround. I really see it as an initial step into breaking into the market, just to get them familiar with my name and services.

I would be careful with the commission/finders fee. I started doing this initially, and luckily I chose to only offer it until 2015. Many of the people who provided me with work decided to just share mutual benefits and favours rather than exchange cash which was great. 10% of your turnover as a finders fee is a huge lump in the big picture, and you might find yourself increasing prices to offset the finders fee you are losing.

Aside from letters, give out plenty of extra cards, go out and flyer areas (I only drop things when I can see a stump from the road, I dont like to harass people). Problem with door to door sales is that 40% of people may have trees, but probably less than 5% have a stump, let alone want it removed. So door to door sales are a waste of time + money.

Below is an example of the most recent letter I sent. Its useful to highlight the advantages of stump grinding over other methods, and also why you are better than other providers.

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=dc960495db4d72085a27af11d44d7296

I actually have a set of different letters aimed at different markets. For example, builders need the advantages highlighting that makes it worth their time, where as tree surgeons may understand and you need to talk about expanding the services they make available to their client base.

I feel like I've come a long way in the last year and started out similar to yourself, so feel free to ask any questions :)