Ranger MPG. What do you get?

PeteB

I haven't done the math, just relied on the dash. Maybe I'm being a little over sensitive and just have to accept that my cost of sales has changed dramatically. The IX35 I was in did return very good mpg and I used the Sprinter beavertail for heavy stuff and that never went on my figures.

My old Rodeo from some years ago seemed to go further on a tank and that had loads less HP and torque. I am now in another 2.2 and ther is a marginal improvement (+3mpg) on Grabbers but I think that it isnt going to loads better. Anyone run the high performance fuels and notice anything?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't buy a pickup for good mpg though do you? If you want that buy a small van/car/bike:)

No but you don't expect manufacturers to blatantly lie about the combined mpg figures.

Before doing logs I was driving old diesel estate cars from Ford, Citroen and Peugeot. With all of them if you drove carefully the book figures could be achieved or exceeded. I partially went for the the Dmax due to the supposed good fuel economy compared with other trucks but it looks like the numbers were made up in cloud cuckoo land:thumbdown:

No but you don't expect manufacturers to blatantly lie about the combined mpg figures.

I do . :001_smile: To achieve those figures the test is carried out in perfect conditions . All extra weight is removed , spare wheel , seats ( except the drivers ) all external body joints are taped to smooth air flow , wing mirrors removed and just the minimum amount of fuel to be able to carry out the test . Its totally meaningless in the real world .

I do . :001_smile: To achieve those figures the test is carried out in perfect conditions . All extra weight is removed , spare wheel , seats ( except the drivers ) all external body joints are taped to smooth air flow , wing mirrors removed and just the minimum amount of fuel to be able to carry out the test . Its totally meaningless in the real world .

How on earth is that allowed?

I thought modern EU regulation was pushing to make all energy consuming items more efficient but if that is right it makes a mockery of the figures.

How on earth is that allowed?

I thought modern EU regulation was pushing to make all energy consuming items more efficient but if that is right it makes a mockery of the figures.

I don't know that its illegal but it does happen . I saw a documentary showing just that . Similarly ....Sports bike weight figures and power figures . One litre sports bike quoted at 165kg and 200bhp . The 165kg is " dry weight " No fluids . No break fluid , no petrol , no oil , no coolent . The BHP is with the forced air effect ( pressureized air box at max speed ) and the BHP is measured at the crank not the back wheel . All marketing grif .

But they are all on a level playing field just knock 20 % off and you have a good idea. The emission controls eat a bit more fuel. These trucks have grown in size over the last ten years and the tyres doubled in width and halved in life.

If you want to improve fuel consumption improve your driving style check the truck is not chipped for performance. Look into skinny pure road tyres with good reviews for economy I think this could make a difference of 20 % over mts . Forget the fancy fuels and make sure it's serviced early and the brakes are not binding. Don't drive round with the climate control on auto you only need air con for three days a year. Unless the air con says it's off its actually always working. Seat heaters heated mirrors etc leave them off. The power drawn by the alternator is the same as a 50 cc moped through the chain.

They are trucks, work vehicles, I have never in my life looked at fuel consumption figures for any vehicle as a buying point. If fuel cost is a big motivating point then why buy one.

My customers pay my fuel bill not me, then the tax man gives me 20% of that cost back, I can't complain :biggrin:

They are trucks, work vehicles, I have never in my life looked at fuel consumption figures for any vehicle as a buying point. If fuel cost is a big motivating point then why buy one.

My customers pay my fuel bill not me, then the tax man gives me 20% of that cost back, I can't complain :biggrin:

Well said that man, totally agree. But then saying that I wouldn't want something that only does 8 mpg. Haha :D