Ranger MPG. What do you get?

PeteB

Been keeping records of my mpg since 2013. Originally was on a mk2 ranger currently on a mk5 ranger. Same conditions, same trailer same machines etc. And surprising the average mpg on the mk2 was 27.01 and on mk5 27.00. Not sure I believe the manufacturers claims on mpg in future.

Mpg worked out from miles completed and fuel entered.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My new Hilux Auto has covered 4500 miles now and the mpg (measured at each fill up, via the Fuelly phone app) has averaged 32.2mpg over that total mileage.

No towing and has a Mountain Top fitted

On a run it gets 35 mpg and the measured fuel is actually quite similar to the onboard monitor

As the title says!

My GreenMech tow tug isn't as good as I thought it should be. Anything from 15mpg to 27mpg. I have only got more than 30mpg once in 22k miles.....

We have two of these 2.2 rangers, first one gets driven hard as possible everywhere, full throttle just about everywhere and only ever 5 mile max journey it's done 80k that returns 24, the other is driven normally and gets 32 and has done 40k with 15 mile journeys , we obviously get slightly less if towing especially if close to the full 3500kg, they both run well on the new Ford Castrol fuel economy engine oil, we use JacksonsFord in Henley for all the service work, they are spot on, defo saw the economy improve once they serviced all the oils and set up the rear brakes, they also set the geometry on a Hunter aligner that made the biggest difference, and there was a software update which made them both smoother, and they serviced the ac too, again with some oil, check out their feefo reviews don't think they are far from you, surprised to see 15 as a towing average though, but suspect you could improve by using the fuel economy oils and i guess you run the tyres on the high pressures, ours our not euro 6 so we don't have to use the ad blu, have a new one one order with Jacksons and that is due soon, another 2.2 but the euro 6 engine so another 10 bhp but ad blue will be needed, be interested to see how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Bloody thing broke down again and left me on the roadside until the AA sorted it! Fuel return Jose had come off (poorly reattached and with two broken clips) spraying fuel all over the place. Following drivers suffered with spray/must and smoke. AA man did say to sack the dealer who fitted the engine......

• 2 weeks later...
I now get zero mpg - oil pump went - destroyed the turbo and the engine inhaled the inner working of the turbo. 3.5 years old and 66k on clock. Now needs whole new engine at £8k.

That's pants mate . Sorry for you . Makes my old 05 plate D22 look good .