sycamore tree rot

egs

Hi had phone call off a customer today to have a look at this tree. Notice there was a fare bit of rot in the bottom any theorys as to what could have caused it. From other pics theres a few large wound. Do you recommend this is worth of a take down in conjunction with dead dieing or dangerous act. Tree is lying very near to a school access point

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

Almost certain that's historic fire damage. Can't see why, from the pictures, it would be classed as dangerous. There is also now no exception for dying within the legislation.

Beat me too it :thumbup: there probably won't be as much decay as you think in there but check it out.

Normal app .

Its not imminently dangerous or dead, so a normal application will be needed.

No-ones' said it's in a Conservation Area or TPO'd. Not having a go at you, the OP doesn't seem to eb aware of teh legislative basis for removign dangerous trees, maybe thinking there is a requirement to remove dangerous trees.

Dunno, there is no way any of us have enogh information to say what should be done. if it is 1 metre shorter than its distance to the school access, why touch it?

God I hate to think that the fate of trees that have been around for maybe 50 or 100 years might rely on forum opinion.

Again, nothing to do with you, skyhuck, I just hit quote instead of reply.

So, egs, I'd say leave it alone unless you think it's probably going to fall over soon in conditions when there will be someone right underneath it. See all that callus, that means it's fighting back and is strong and supple around the decay. 35,000 days to grow, 1 day to cut it down.

No-ones' said it's in a Conservation Area or TPO'd. Not having a go at you, the OP doesn't seem to eb aware of teh legislative basis for removign dangerous trees, maybe thinking there is a requirement to remove dangerous trees.

Dunno, there is no way any of us have enogh information to say what should be done. if it is 1 metre shorter than its distance to the school access, why touch it?

God I hate to think that the fate of trees that have been around for maybe 50 or 100 years might rely on forum opinion.

Again, nothing to do with you, skyhuck, I just hit quote instead of reply.

So, egs, I'd say leave it alone unless you think it's probably going to fall over soon in conditions when there will be someone right underneath it. See all that callus, that means it's fighting back and is strong and supple around the decay. 35,000 days to grow, 1 day to cut it down.

Cheers for advice. I I'm going to contact the local T.O and ask his advice.

The good discussion prompts a novice's question, Do you folks see much fire injury in your work? I know fires both accidental and intentional do occur. In my first look at the picture, I thought immediately of basal mechanical injury from some machine, but sure, fire fits.