Children riding bikes on pavements

Darrin Turnbull

Maybe...................before we find the poor Mr Plod guilty................it would be interesting to get his side of the story. It would either confirm that he is an anal ****, or maybe the cyclist's parent had his head up his ass and was allowing his kid to do something stupid. Just a thought??? It all sounds like the press (and the parent) making a big issue out something which was probably trivial.........

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your saying the state should enforce all law at all times not expect there enforcers to have a little common sense. :sneaky2::sneaky2:

You are saying common sense vs the law; I think the latter has more say somehow. Common sense tells me I'd do over anyone who touched my kids - it would still amount to gbh / assault / et al though and I would have to face the judicial system regardless of how I (others) had been wronged in the first place.

:banghead:

You are saying common sense vs the law; I think the latter has more say somehow. Common sense tells me I'd do over anyone who touched my kids - it would still amount to gbh / assault / et al though and I would have to face the judicial system regardless of how I (others) had been wronged in the first place.

:banghead:

TCD your missing my point all together maybe it's the way I'm trying to put it across.

I completely get the law has to be obeyed even when it's an ass.

The point I'm trying to make can an officer not use his discretion at when it should be applied.

TCD your missing my point all together maybe it's the way I'm trying to put it across.

I completely get the law has to be obeyed even when it's an ass.

The point I'm trying to make can an officer not use his discretion at when it should be applied.

Of course he could, but as I understand it, the law applies at all times. Murder is against the law; so is riding on the pavement. One is heinous, the other immaterial by comparison but again, the law is the law. The officer should have reminded the parent of the law, not scared the child which is what the media portrays as happening. Hundreds and thousands of children are riding on the pavements as we speak no doubt and I of course think police time and resources would be better spent on more serious matters. As above (previous post), I think the law needs modification in this particular case. In another case, BMW's should be fitted with indicators for starters.

Hundreds and thousands of children are riding on the pavements as we speak no doubt and I of course think police time and resources would be better spent on more serious matters. As above (previous post), I think the law needs modification in this particular case.

you really think MPs/ Parliament/ civil servants couldn't use their time more productively than amending legislation to allow a 4 year old to cycle on a pavement?

you really think MPs/ Parliament/ civil servants couldn't use their time more productively than amending legislation to allow a 4 year old to cycle on a pavement?

What I meant was I'd rather the copper who pounced on the wee girl had been dealing with more serious crimes; he enforced the law - that's his job but it's minor; in the time mucking about being a jobsworth he could have spotted a burglary et al. I would fully support a change in the law to allow speed restricted cycling on the pavement for upto 12 year olds; as yet that hasn't happened. I consider the power a 4 year old puts through the pedals as insufficient to cause harm to a pedestrian - ish.

I consider the power a 4 year old puts through the pedals as insufficient to cause harm to a pedestrian - ish.

They showed the girl on the bike walking to school on the news this morning. The pavement was full of little kids walking with their parents. Most young kids on bikes have little clue about dealing with braking or judging a safe speed and I'm sure that girl on her bike could easily floor one of the other kids or the stabilisers on her bike break a small ankle. Theres a time and place for everything and a crowded pavement aint the place for learning to ride a bike.

The copper did the right thing but probably did it with the wrong attitude.