Petzl zigzag uses

SPC Trees

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use mine on everything and have done for 18 months. My belief is that the reason they crack is the reason mentioned above. I have been careful not to do this and haven't had any problems. In all honesty I can't see that it would/could crack unless it was side loaded when tight to a stem or limb

I use mine on everything and have done for 18 months. My belief is that the reason they crack is the reason mentioned above. I have been careful not to do this and haven't had any problems. In all honesty I can't see that it would/could crack unless it was side loaded when tight to a stem or limb

No I think its a manufacturing fault, some crack, some don't.

I used a mark 1 for about 2 years without issue, I exchanged it for a mark 2 at the APF show, the mark 2 cracked within the first month of use. I used it in exactly the same way as I had used the mark 1.

zigzag is good for big and small stuff. I often hear this question asked, weather it be about the zigzag or spiderjack etc....I don't see how the size of the tree is relevant for any climbing system at all really.

With regards line diameter, I wouldn't even consider running a zigzag with 13mm line, you will lose most of the best features of the device, ie easy self tending.

No I think its a manufacturing fault, some crack, some don't.

I used a mark 1 for about 2 years without issue, I exchanged it for a mark 2 at the APF show, the mark 2 cracked within the first month of use. I used it in exactly the same way as I had used the mark 1.

So do you think the steel is fatigued somehow from the manufacturing process?

As others have stated I use blue tongue & rope guide , i like the zigzag it's easy going to use , I mix & climb on Afew differant systems ( spiderjacks & bulldog bone ) & still enjoy the zigzag ... Maybe petzl

Will make a beefier version , I don't think they need to be slim & light the bdb is a lot bigger & still feels good & not awkward ...

I'm currently using mine on a 13mm as I stupidly trimmed my 11.7mm rope. On an 11.7 it self tends well. I am careful when going over branches etc so as not to side load it. I went from a prussic to the zigzag and won't be going back anytime soon even for small trees.

Lovely old job, they seem to have gotten it spot with the mk2 👍