New Chain.. little adjust left?

IanW

I'm not convinced. Surely a chain of X number of links should be the same whether husky or stih of the same size? Especially if the dealer is making up the loops themselves?

The last stihl chain I fitted to a husky was a bit long too, though when we held it up to the old chain they had the same number of links as that was the first thing we thought was wrong - it was a bit odd really. It wasn't as bad as the OP, but it definitely used a lot more adjustment than normal for a new chain.

I've noticed the same thing with Oregon and Stijl chain,

Is this the pre stretch that make it apear longer ... I don't know?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced. Surely a chain of X number of links should be the same whether husky or stih of the same size? Especially if the dealer is making up the loops themselves?

The last stihl chain I fitted to a husky was a bit long too, though when we held it up to the old chain they had the same number of links as that was the first thing we thought was wrong - it was a bit odd really. It wasn't as bad as the OP, but it definitely used a lot more adjustment than normal for a new chain.

Some Stihl saws use a more drive links than the equivalent Husqvarna saw for a given bar length . MS 201t against Husky T540 for example . The reason for this is the working bar length is measured from bar tip back to the power head . Then the distance from the front of the power head back to the drive sprocket may be longer on the Stihl than it is on the Husky hence one or two more drive links may be needed on the Stihl . :001_smile:

All I can think of that its the pre-stretch....

It was a brand new chain and it had the right amount of drive links, 72-18"

The pitch was right, if it wasn't it wouldn't run.

I had a drive link and cutter taken out..... So it looks like from now on I'll be buying chains with one less drive link...

I just fitted an 18" Stihl Oilomatic chain to 036. 66 drive links 3/8" .063 and there's lots of adjustment. The bar is well used but plenty of life left in it. I counted the links on the old chain before I ordered as well as checking the bar stamp. Is your bar an original or replacement ?

Drive sprocket and bar if they are worn then they will contribute to slack chain also worn oiler and bar holes not clear of debris and finally depth gauges too low, all these will contribute to a stretched chain if its brand new id take it back To get checked 72 dl is a 20"

Chains don't actually stretch, the bottom of the plates wear, as does the bar and sprocket, this causes the chain to become slack, giving the appearance that the chain has stretched, but it hasn't.

So I don't see how any chain could be "pre-stretched", I would certainly not want my new chain to be pre-worn.

Chains do expand when when hot, which makes them slack, hot chains should not be adjusted up, as when they cool they will shrink again and could bend the crank shaft or split the bar nose.