wood pellet machine

plippy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

much more energy per ton than chip,

That must be wrong?

All wood of the same type at the same % moisture will have the same energy in it no matter if its in logs, chip, pellet or matches. You cant add energy by changing its form. In fact if you take into account the processing power used to make the pellets (hammer mill & pelletiser) the NET energy will be less not more.

Justme

The only thing is logs pretty much sell for £160-00 a tonne (properly dry logs that is)...

How much did it cost your mate to get a pellet making machine? It seems there are grants around towards these things.

And I don't suppose you can pelletise your chip mulch (after drying)... This sort of thing could be the future but I suppose like anything else you really want to have the market there first before buying all the gear in.

The only thing is logs pretty much sell for £160-00 a tonne (properly dry logs that is)...

How much did it cost your mate to get a pellet making machine? It seems there are grants around towards these things.

And I don't suppose you can pelletise your chip mulch (after drying)... This sort of thing could be the future but I suppose like anything else you really want to have the market there first before buying all the gear in.

he got a 50% grant towards it, he did say someone rang up saying they didnt need the bark taken off and that they wanted 50 tonne a month, he is considering getting a machine that processes, obvoiusly it cant cut the stock properly but my idea was to go in and just fell the chestnut then let the machine do its job

my thort is that the customer is happy if its chesnut coppice and that nowadays you can get the coppice for zero penneys or in fact they sometimes pay you to maintain there woodlands, so if these chestnut woodlands are not being coppiced for rails and posts, its a market for any woodman to consider.

there are grants out there, you just need to know who to contact

Just from doing a bit of research after reading your thread I'm now thinking it could be the way forward (as part of your business anyway!!). Now the whole pellet thing is in it's infancy but in 3 to 5 years it could be much more widespread.

It seems you can make fuel pellets from anything be it straw, waste grass and the like as long as you have the means to dry it. What I'm thinking is if you had the right pellet making machine for your general tree waste.

Would take a bit of time and research but if you can make burnable pellets out of grass then you should be able to nake them out of chip mulch. I suppose you'd want to speak to people selling the boilers to see who has got them installed and what fuel they're using.

It's not good having a mountain of pellet and no where for it all to go! Can you divulge where your mate got his grant from? I know DEFRA seem to want to get the whole pellet fuel going.

Just from doing a bit of research after reading your thread I'm now thinking it could be the way forward (as part of your business anyway!!). Now the whole pellet thing is in it's infancy but in 3 to 5 years it could be much more widespread.

It seems you can make fuel pellets from anything be it straw, waste grass and the like as long as you have the means to dry it. What I'm thinking is if you had the right pellet making machine for your general tree waste.

Would take a bit of time and research but if you can make burnable pellets out of grass then you should be able to nake them out of chip mulch. I suppose you'd want to speak to people selling the boilers to see who has got them installed and what fuel they're using.

It's not good having a mountain of pellet and no where for it all to go! Can you divulge where your mate got his grant from? I know DEFRA seem to want to get the whole pellet fuel going.

ive got an email with the application in it that my m8 sent me so i can forward it on to ya, wots ya email address