Re Chipper advice please

Chipperclown

I'm considering my first chipper and part of the decision concerns getting rid of leylandi, lawson etc, I can always give hardwood away, but had trouble before with conifer - it is resinous and not great firewood - can be burnt alone, but most easily got rid of when burnt mixed with good hard wood logs - so a 9 or 10 inch machine to eat the conifers would be good, even then the rings

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only got a transit, but live on Isle of Wight, so wouldn't be far, I guess the trouble would be stalling on a steep hill, but if I can get to jobs doing 30mph that would do.

My transit 350 can tow 3.5 ton. Most of the bigger chippers seem to be around 2 ton. Had a ton of chip in a 12ft Ifor on the back before, just the steep hills tricky ( and no off - road sites)

When I see timberwolfs for sale specially on ebay you can guarantee it'll go for good money even if it's a dog of a machine.

It the same as stihl when I see 170/180/023s for sale they nearly sell on eBay for the price of a new one. It just comes down to the name nearly everyone started out with a 150 timberwolf its a really common and recognised machine.

Personally I'd get the biggest chipper I could afford a minimum of 7.5 inches but it's each to their owner, a gardener is more than happy with his 6in chipper when a contractor on a site clearance need a far bigger machine.

only got a transit, but live on Isle of Wight, so wouldn't be far, I guess the trouble would be stalling on a steep hill, but if I can get to jobs doing 30mph that would do.

My transit 350 can tow 3.5 ton. Most of the bigger chippers seem to be around 2 ton. Had a ton of chip in a 12ft Ifor on the back before, just the steep hills tricky ( and no off - road sites)

Nothing wrong with a transit, a 350 has plenty of poke.

I recently bought my first chipper it's a kwickchip 222 it leaves the 150 for dead and just about keeps up with my friends 190 I would definitely buy the biggest you can as it was a fraction of the cost of smaller chipper I do chip anything up to the size that will fit but still end up taking plenty of timber away

See In my opinion that's like buying a 7 seater car with a wife and two kids just because you can and it was within budget.

Not really. With a chipper the general rule is that the larger the chipping capacity of the machine the wider the throat/feed hopper etc. This makes a massive difference in the real world. A lot of machines will drag in whatever you can get to the rollers, but that isn't much use if the rollers are at the bottom of a narrow funnel preventing you forcing the big gnarly thorn etc to the bite point.

We use 1928 Greenmech chippers day in/day out - they are fantastic machines and will pull in more than an equivalent square feed 7.5 inch machine. When we use 6inch machines of various makes (including TW, Forst and Jensen) with or without letterbox openings the most noticeable difference is how small the hopper is in comparison.

Just because the machine will chip 7.5 inch/9 inch/15 inch etc doesn't mean that you will necessarily put that size log through it. Brash will be dealt with much more quickly and easily with a bigger machine.

The only negative that I can think of is man handling the chippers when disconnected from the van (eat your Weetabix and you will be fine). They are easier to reverse as you can actually see them, and in reality a 7.5 inch chipper is well within the towing capacity of any Arb truck.

Go big, it's the future!

Not really. With a chipper the general rule is that the larger the chipping capacity of the machine the wider the throat/feed hopper etc. This makes a massive difference in the real world. A lot of machines will drag in whatever you can get to the rollers, but that isn't much use if the rollers are at the bottom of a narrow funnel preventing you forcing the big gnarly thorn etc to the bite point.

We use 1928 Greenmech chippers day in/day out - they are fantastic machines and will pull in more than an equivalent square feed 7.5 inch machine. When we use 6inch machines of various makes (including TW, Forst and Jensen) with or without letterbox openings the most noticeable difference is how small the hopper is in comparison.

Just because the machine will chip 7.5 inch/9 inch/15 inch etc doesn't mean that you will necessarily put that size log through it. Brash will be dealt with much more quickly and easily with a bigger machine.

The only negative that I can think of is man handling the chippers when disconnected from the van (eat your Weetabix and you will be fine). They are easier to reverse as you can actually see them, and in reality a 7.5 inch chipper is well within the towing capacity of any Arb truck.

Go big, it's the future!

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

All my customers would agree bigger is better, over the years I Have swapped 5" chippers to 12" & not one wished they hadn't. Our best selling model for the last few years is a 12" drum & as already said when it comes down to hawthorn, conifer etc you can pile as much as you like in, it's the way forward &'far cheaper to pass your test.