OK, own up who cut it down!!

Big Beech

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay I did have it happen once but in all fairness the bloke I was working for at the time marked 6 trees to be removed with pink paint and the one tree to be pruned with the same pink paint so when I had finished removing all the trees with pink paint on them and went to prune the other tree I could not find it. I may not be able to count very well but I am not colourblind so I phoned him up an said that He could explain what went wrong to the HO and left. lesson learnt.

too much talk in this thread, here's bottom line

Cut down the right tree - Professionals

Cut the wrong tree - Amateurs

end of discussion.

Not quite end of discussion.

Make mistakes - pay the consequences.

And as a footnote... I know everyone on Arbtalk is just wanting to have a bit of a laugh, but seriously it is not for anyone to speculate about whether the tree's onwer wantied it gone anyway or is jumping on the compensation bandwagon or whether he should have built a 6 foot fence to repel invaders or whether the tree was a good one. I'll bet there's no such chat down at the Housing Association. They should and inevitably will pay up and they should sue their contractor if he read the spec wrong.

Everything else is dog-ate-my-homework schoolboy excuses and rather ugly merriment at the expense of a couple who may be genuinely saddened by the irreplaceable loss of their tree.

Come on Arbtalk, try at least and pretend to be professionals, so that the public who read this forum don't just decide that they would be as well getting their gardener to do their tree work.

Looks like I'm the only one who can empathise with the owner...

Not only you. In '92, a relative of mine was having major building works done to their house. The builder condemed a mature Laburnum on sight. For no other reason, than it would make erecting the scaffolding slower. Not impossible, just slower. He didn't inform the homeowner of his intensions and on a Sunday morning, the b****** sent two lads, with panel saws to fell the tree. He'd offered them a full day's pay if they did it on the Sunday.

It was sheer luck I happened to be around that morning. When I found them 2/3s if the way through one of three main stems. But they'd already severely damaged a second. I got them to stop. They were surprised I wanted to save "an obviously dead tree". I asked how they'd come to this puzzling conclusion and they replied, that the builder had told them so; and as was evident, the tree had no leaves. This being late December, it wasn't a surprise to me.

I then had them carefully remove 'all' the side branches off the terminal nearly cut stem, (after they'd taken it from the tree). And had them carefully saw this into 75mm blocks. After seasoning, I gave some of the blocks to members of the family, who to this day, still use them as paperweights and candle holders.

After the paid spawn had departed, I tidied the cut. Wrapped a a clean mildly bleached cloth around the remaining damaged stem and over-wrapped with plastic film. I didn't have a glue whether this would work. But it nursed it through the building work and survived for another dozen years.

I slept in the property that night, just in case the builder returned in person, he didn't. But at just after first light, he did turn up with a bowsaw in hand. To confronted by a less than happy camper. He was threatened with criminal damage and sued. He settled out of court.

Without the counter-balancing weight of the missing stem. The remaining good stem developed a severe lean and I had to prop it after a couple if years. The tree now puts on a magnificent display in full bloom. And of course the smell at night or after a shower is devine. But it's never fully regained it's canopy or majesty.

And the homeowner - is stil upset by the whole affair. And apart from signing the final handover of the renovated property, has never spoken to the b****** again. At the time, the homeowner, (a well respected member in their community) had close links with a number of council members. I can't remember the builder being awarded any further work by the council in quite a large area.

Not quite end of discussion.

Make mistakes - pay the consequences.

And as a footnote... I know everyone on Arbtalk is just wanting to have a bit of a laugh, but seriously it is not for anyone to speculate about whether the tree's onwer wantied it gone anyway or is jumping on the compensation bandwagon or whether he should have built a 6 foot fence to repel invaders or whether the tree was a good one. I'll bet there's no such chat down at the Housing Association. They should and inevitably will pay up and they should sue their contractor if he read the spec wrong.

Everything else is dog-ate-my-homework schoolboy excuses and rather ugly merriment at the expense of a couple who may be genuinely saddened by the irreplaceable loss of their tree.

Come on Arbtalk, try at least and pretend to be professionals, so that the public who read this forum don't just decide that they would be as well getting their gardener to do their tree work.

Oh give all this prefect stuff a rest Jules. If we want to have a laugh over it, we will.

Nobody died.

Edited by Mountain man

Oh give all this prefect stuff a rest Jules. If we want to have a laugh over it, we will.

Nobody died.

I am incapable of giving it a rest. Sorry.

The tree died, but trees don't matter, do they?

I just really really worry that punters look at stuff like this on Arbtalk and think (roghtly or wrongly?) that even the better contractors think it is OK to laugh at the misfortune of other punters who have suffered at he hands of tree contractors. You can all choose what part you want to take in that. I've chosen my part a long time ago, and shall leave the majority of you to your version of humour.

Until the next time, that is. As I say, I can't help myself. Being witty and being right seem to be almost mutually exclusive. A laugh is usually at the expense of someone's misfortune. I've never been good at it.:001_huh: