under pressure

bill

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If mounted to a krab first; i'd go with a triple noose/scaffold/anchor to self to form eye. i'd go that way so if it jammed i could work it off krab and free up. Much stronger than Bowline(sheetbend to self to form eye; but also changes the hitch to a half hitch); and probably take more dynamic forces. If i was afraid of not being able to free it up; i'd go with DBY. Note, Double ring(not double eye) bowlines are stronger and absorb more dynamic forces(i think); but; due to the eye pulling at a higher point; it has more leverage to invert the works into a slip knot and capsize, so must be dressed well; especially in stiffer lines.

If tying to a perpendicular pull on a spar; i'd go with a binding knot. This is kinda like a constrictor; the last tuck goes in the same place; but the 2nd to last goes over, not under(so you don't quite make a clove first). Almost same security, with no jamming; a real favorite of mine. On an inline/lengthwise pull on same; i'd precede whatever finish with a half hitch; and try to dog each of these rings somehow. (Note that in the ABoK bible {everyone has one wirte?} that lengthwise and perpendiucalr pulls are 2 seperate and distinct chapters; right nest to each other) The finish might be a running DBY. Note the Double Bowline (2 rings to lock, not 2 eyes) is about 5% stronger than a regular Bowline(which is about 65% tensile efficiency). But, a running Bowline determines it's strength differently; and can vary by teepee.

Sorry if, once again, so many answers; but for me it is dependent on other variables in equation/ know static answer. Also, i exercise the decisions in the art to not only accomplish the task, but be more fluent with it; and see more things in it. Kinda a 'you get out of it what you put into it deal'. When there is time or folks to share with; i invert the deal; to make the art the target, and the task the secondary payoff; rather than the other way around. Perhaps i'm jest lysdexic like that. But, many times the real payoff/ what i really carried with me to the next day after the check was spent; is/was what i L-earned. i've all ways about blown whatever monie$ somehow; so this other has been my $avings account somehow; and more of what i had to 'loan' to bail someone else out.

Okay; it is safe to come out; i'm off the soapbox for again...

edit; timber is okay; especially on spar with bitters finishing upabout 7o'clock from the initial pull of 12 o'clock. Killick/timber precedd by half hitch is more secure and better on inline pull on load/device.