ms260/261 or other options?

markcam

I've had my MS260 since 2008. I cleaned it and looked after it and its never had a plug change or proper all over service and its never let me down. QUOTE]

Have had a 261 since '11 (16" bar), doesn't do massive hours per annum (circa 60-70 hrs) but has never needed a full service. Gets the air gun regularly, and always clean 2-stroke. Haven't had a problem yet.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned a 260 since 2010, great saw solid and built well. Did some sub contracting 2 years ago and they had 3 261's and all of them were just gutless, weak saws. I love my Stihl kit but this saw is not very good. Buy a 550XP

Exactly, unless you happen to find a NOS 346xp.

The 261 is an over bulky, over heavy contraption, with bad handling - definately not what a 50cc saw should be.

I will bow out to the judgement of you professional guys as I'm just a home/farm firewood chap but I have a 261 and find it quite adequate. For cutting anything up to about 24" max its done me ok. Most of the time its cutting around 12" diameter or less and with a 16" bar it copes admirably. I sometimes use a 15" bar as I had a load of chains off another saw and for cutting firewood I can't complain.

The main issue seems to be the bearing behind the clutch right? but I intend replacing that yearly as they are only cheap.

I don't find it too heavy and yes more power is probably often desirable but normally not necessary well for me anyway.