Lime tree wood, how does it burn?

leswold

I've had access to a lot of willow over the past couple of years. I'm no expert, but there's probably not much that's wetter than willow, especially the lot I've had from by the river. Anyway, a good 18-24 months air drying and it's very good. Starts the fire well. Obviously not as hot as ash, but it's free and very underrated in my opinion. I'll burn pretty much anything I can get my hands on- so long as it's free!!

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming moisture content is the same, i.e below 20% then the weight of the timber is an approximation to the relative calorific value. Lime is very light so whilst it will burn it won't give of much heat. A species rich in flammable oils rather messes up this theory.

I don't understand how timber for firewood can degrade unless its is being eaten by a fungus or insects? It will be harder to work and blunt cutting tools as the sap dries out but as firewood I don't see a problem.

Just some thoughts. I'll get my coat ....

I'm burning lime wood presently that has been seasoned near two years.

Burns just fine :001_smile:

Not sure why it has got such a bad rep. I was worried when I read all the reviews of lime wood after I had split a significant amount. I have it in the wood burner right now. Nice flame and chucks out lots of heat. What more could you want?

Some of the less durable species (lime, birch, HC, etc) will start to degrade in the log shed after 2yrs, even when down to <20%MC

I've also heard this. I've got about 3 tonnes of lime wood that has been cut into round circles just under two years ago and still needs splitting. Does that mean that the wood has started to degrade already?

• 3 years later...