Safety tip #126

BobbyDee

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

112 and 999 are exactly the same in the UK. As said above they will work on any network so you may be able to get through even if you don't seem to have a signal. Register your phone for 999 text messages as where there's a poor signal a text may get through where a voice call won't.

It is possible to get an approximate location from the cells that you are connected to, but if you're out on the wilds this is going to be very approximate. I don't think the emergency services have ready access to this information anyway.

If you have a smart phone with GPS then it's worth getting an app that will give your position as an OS grid reference.

Your phone uses any service provider. You might not have any signal for a normal call on your service provider's network eg o2 but for an emergency call your call might go out via an EE mast for example. I remember somewhere about ICE contacts too......In Case of Emergency. I've not ever created them though! 😁

Where I work we are told to call 112 in the event of an emergency as your location can be found using your mobile. Don't know if this is the case as we've never yet needed to call, touch wood. (taps head)... Can anyone confirm this?

That is correct. They can get your location from dialling 112 but not from 999.

That is correct. They can get your location from dialling 112 but not from 999.

No, this is one of those endlessly repeated non-facts probably stemming from a single ill-informed post somewhere in the depths of the internet.

Logically, why on earth would the more highly used number be the one with the lesser service? That would clearly be mental.

112 was only adopted to create uniformity across Europe etc, other than that 999 and 112 are the same number with the same service routing.

That does make sense Adamam, i am just quoting what the trainer said on our first aid course. Of course i do not know where his info came from but mine certainly did not from an illinformed post.

I didn't mean to suggest that you are/were ill-informed, so I'm sorry if that's how it read!

:blushing:

Just that stuff on the net can go from one man's bluffing to universal 'fact' fairly quickly.

Bird-related example 1: Duck quacks don't echo. Endlessly stated as fact, yet absolute nonsense, obviously.

Bird-related example 2: Swans can't take-off on land. Somebody told me this when I was a youngster, and I believed it right into adulthood!

:lol: