Expansion

jamesd

Currently just a two man band mostly ground maintenance in summer with tree work in the winter. We also do a lot of hedge cutting jobs.

Just wandering what everyone's views are on expanding a business? I've been offered some more work but not enough to employ another person but to much for just the two of us to do. But hate turning down work!

How would you take the work on? sub contractors or part time worker?

Or would you just keep it as a two man band and turn the work down?

Any views are always helpful!

Currently just a two man band mostly ground maintenance in summer with tree work in the winter. We also do a lot of hedge cutting jobs.

Just wandering what everyone's views are on expanding a business? I've been offered some more work but not enough to employ another person but to much for just the two of us to do. But hate turning down work!

How would you take the work on? sub contractors or part time worker?

Or would you just keep it as a two man band and turn the work down?

Any views are always helpful!

Get some information on May be taking on an apprentice on a government scheme. There are some Google Young people work want to work especially out doors. Worth looking into.

• 3 weeks later...

Only expand for a reason.

Question what your purpose is.

Are you creating work to earn a living, develop a lifestyle, a business to sell, a legacy?

Are you looking to develop your co-worker?

Is the new work better margin, for a nicer client?

The world of work is always ups and downs, peaks and troughs, too much, too little. Sometimes a decent subbie working with you can be a sound way to take care of the fluctuations in work load.

Only expand for a reason.

Question what your purpose is.

Are you creating work to earn a living, develop a lifestyle, a business to sell, a legacy?

Are you looking to develop your co-worker?

Is the new work better margin, for a nicer client?

The world of work is always ups and downs, peaks and troughs, too much, too little. Sometimes a decent subbie working with you can be a sound way to take care of the fluctuations in work load.

At the moment i'm just trying to earn as much as i can while i'm young (24) hoping to then downscale again when i'm older and have more of a lifestyle being my own boss etc.

I have thought about subbies it just finding a good one in my area, also ideally they need to have all thier own kit and transport. This obviously means i will have to pay them more and my margins would decrease.

But i think that is the best method to look into.