Inverness / The Highlands

Mr Fowler

Hello people's. The missus has a job interview for a job in Inverness next week. She did apply for a job in the U.S. but it seems this one is better suited :crying:

Although I am not confirmed to move up that way yet, thought I'd ask for a bit of helpful info should I end up there! If she gets the job it will probably be early April.

So, who's good to work for, who's not good to work for?

Are there many tree related jobs up there?

Will I be able to keep my 2wd Hilux or will I have TO TRADE IT IN FOR A 4X4 and get a snow-plough mounted on the front?

Anything else I should know? Are the locals friendly?

I have a Level 3 Arb & Forestry qualification, the usual tickets (30,31,38,39,chipper) and a few years experience, mixture of sub-contracting, domestic work, PAYE commercial work and the past couple of months I have been doing tree-inspections for a local council.

Will I be able to find work up that way?

Is a lot of it utility cutting? (I have none of these tickets!)

EDIT: You can PM me if you don't want to reply to this.

I used to live in that neck of the woods! I think the majority of the work going is for the forestry commission and Scottish woodland! Their is a lot of piece work planting and spraying. As for actually tree surgery it's quite a small population (100,000 max) and not massively built up. The Scottish school of forestry is based there and they might be able to give you a better idea of what the work prospects are like in the area. Good luck.

I used to live in that neck of the woods! I think the majority of the work going is for the forestry commission and Scottish woodland! Their is a lot of piece work planting and spraying. As for actually tree surgery it's quite a small population (100,000 max) and not massively built up. The Scottish school of forestry is based there and they might be able to give you a better idea of what the work prospects are like in the area. Good luck.

Thanks Macca, I'll send the forestry school an email. How did you find living there and where you at now?

I moved up there when I was 17 to go to the forestry college! Loved it one of the most beautiful parts of the world, and the houses are pretty cheap in comparison! I live in Bedfordshire now (not so cheap) and wish I could go back but the Bird is the breadwinner and her career is down this way. I done a bit of forestry in Scandinavia, now in lead climber for a council!

I moved up there when I was 17 to go to the forestry college! Loved it one of the most beautiful parts of the world, and the houses are pretty cheap in comparison! I live in Bedfordshire now (not so cheap) and wish I could go back but the Bird is the breadwinner and her career is down this way. I done a bit of forestry in Scandinavia, now in lead climber for a council!

Yeah it looks well nice from pictures. Looked at rental prices and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Canterbury where we are now.

I'll be in the same position if the lass gets the job, she'll be earning all the money!

If she gets it I'll just call around all the local tree related firms and ask if they have anything for me to do at all. I think my lack of plant / machinery experience is a bit of a drawback for getting into forestry up there. I've used skid steers and driven unimogs but it looks like they use a lot more kit than that. I'm sure I'll find something though!

Different ethos up here. More folk own chain saws and know how to use them. Generally we're jack of all trades and master of a few! We seek help from friends of friends and only employ a professional if someone else is paying!

I think you've pretty much just described me 😁😁

Blimey, it's not an Arctic wasteland up here you know!

There are tree firms up around Inverness. And there are houses with trees! Google and Yell are your friend. Plus there are various estates you could tout yourself around. 4x4 helps if you're working on these.

Had two jobs in Inversneckie this week as it happens, and I'm based 30 miles away.

Different ethos up here. More folk own chain saws and know how to use them. Generally we're jack of all trades and master of a few! We seek help from friends of friends and only employ a professional if someone else is paying!

Master of a few??

You're showing off now Dave:-)