Inverness / The Highlands

Mr Fowler

Yep, I was in exactly your situation back in 2011, the breadwinner dragged me up here, though not kicking and screaming (I've been heading to the west coast of Scotland far too aften for a few years). I set myself up as self emplyed as there was not a tree firm on the Island, and it's going pretty well for me. If she'll be covering your personal overheads, then I would advise you to find someone to work with and advertise for work, as well as asking around the local firms.

As for the jacks of all, just get with it approach. Aye, that just about sums it up. Expect the odd call for I was doing it myself but it went wrong, or I've done all the easy ones but that ones too close to wires/shed/barn/house. Also, it won't just be tree work, but don't fall into the trap of underpricing to get work," that path leads to the dark side, it does. hmmmmm"

Thanks for the replies / messages, very much appreciated. Sounds like if I'm willing to do a range of stuff I should manage to pick up some work, likely to be subbying, but not too likely to be domestic climbing work. I could easily cope for a bit on a few days a week anyway :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that, you never know something else may come up in the future if youre looking to move.

Me and the missus are off up to glencoe for a job interview tomorrow, so see how that goes. We went for a job last year in renfrewshire and got down to the last two and got pipped by another couple from another agency, its the way it goes.