Multifuel stove installation

ArthurPhil

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go down the route of fitting yourself, you will have to get it signed of by a building inspector cost £300, otherwise it will invalidate your insurance if you have a chimney fire or worse somebody dies carbon monoxide poisoning.

Further if you come to sell your house and don't have certificate of installation its a no go!

So really that's your options done by Hetas or the later and as above. :001_smile:

Crap £187 is the building regs fee,just done mine

It amazes me that these days that virtually everything , even relatively simple, needs expensive "expert " advise and regulation, but anyone can just work on their own vehicle .. brakes , steering or whatever ! ( I would like to point out that I am not a mechanic trying to protect my own trade ) and how many people fell trees without the relevant tickets ? etc ... seems life is becoming overfull of such nonsense now , soon we will be banned from cleaning our own teeth unless we are qualified Dentists ! ( rant over !! )

It amazes me that these days that virtually everything , even relatively simple, needs expensive "expert " advise and regulation, but anyone can just work on their own vehicle .. brakes , steering or whatever ! ( I would like to point out that I am not a mechanic trying to protect my own trade ) and how many people fell trees without the relevant tickets ? etc ... seems life is becoming overfull of such nonsense now , soon we will be banned from cleaning our own teeth unless we are qualified Dentists ! ( rant over !! )

:thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice lads (and lasses?) - I'm grateful. Thinking about it I was probably just looking for a shove to crack on with it.

The wife has arranged for 3 more Hetas companies to come over this week, so I'll get those quotes and go from there.

Interestingly, her sister had a full multifuel boiler system installed to run rads and hot water and it cost €350.00 plus parts through the books - only in Ireland!

Thank you...

You are not being a skinflint at all. I got fed up with the silly quotes and advice from hetas big heads, so I did it myself. I had to put a whole chimney in, and it took a day and a half with two of us. I will in fact be posting pictures in the firewood forum.

its easy if you have an exisiting chimney. You just drop a liner down, attach to the stove, seal the gap, add a cowl, test then get it signed off. I have done three like that for other people.

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures of your installation. Thanks

We had a wrap around back boiler to remove, widen the firebreast, fit a new lintel, take an air supply for the stove through the firebreast and through an outside wall, then plaster and re-instate the whole thing.

I done a fair bit of the donkey work with the kango but labour for everything else including plumbing out the back boiler was £440. Can't remember parts prices exactly as the missus paid it but for everything, even including the hardwall, was slightly less than £100.

We had been given ridiculous quotes as well, frequently the lining of the chimney was mentioned as a factor. In the end we fitted the stove first to see how it would work with the standard chimney knowing that a flexible liner could be fitted retrospectively if required. We're in our second winter with it now and no hitches so far whatsoever but even at that a flexible flue liner kit was being quoted at around £200 with all necessary fittings so still wouldn't have taken the price up to the levels we were being quoted for a complete install.

Photo-0013.jpg.a7a96fd1fe837cd06edb99ebead8f531.jpg