Samsung Solid Extreme

Killa Ferret

same make as the jcb toughphone, in fact i think it might even be the same phone just different colours. IP rating of 67 which is the highest ever rated phone for resisting ingress of dust,water and resisting shock (note use of word resisting. tried the pint trick with my old siemens m65, ended up having to buy a samsung m110 solid.)

The JCB Toughphone is a rebadged Sonim XP1.

The Sonim XP1 has been superseded by the XP3 "Enduro" which is IP-57 and MIL-810F certified and has a 3-year unconditional guarantee. It is available SIM-free and unlocked for around £220. The XP3 is at the moment the only mobile phone with an IP-57 rating.

The Land Rover S1 tough phone is a rebadged Somin XP3.20-E "Quest" which is essentially the XP3 with th addition of a camera and GPS navigation. I think it is around £350 and is locked to the Orange network.

I have just bought a bright yellow SIM-free XP3 "Enduro" to replace my old Motorola which drowned and died in the heavy rains two weeks ago, and so far I have been very impressed. It is big and heavy by modern standards, but it is LOUD and you can operate it in gloves. If it gets covered in crud, you stick it under the tap. It even has a chainsaw as a built-in ringtone! It doesn't take photos, and it doesn't have gadgets, but it does make phone calls.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got one of those a weeks ago. Very good phone. 24 months warranty on it.

Very good small but powerful lcd torch on it. tested in water and it has held up good.

I am going to order an arm strap for my mobile as keeping it in my pocket up the tree is pain in ass.

2 good work phones out there. samsung solid / jcb mobile

Dean

Alot of phones can survive being dropped, mine included. Only on occasion when we are away from the trucks do we ever take a phone with us. I mean what are the chances of it falling into water or if it falling out of a tree, kinda like will i have an accident today, should i wear my shorts or chainsaw trousers. Do i buy a car with airbags and seatbelts. At the end of the day i just want a phone to make a call off, that can take a knock and wont die if it came into contact with water. It actually cost me the same as my old 3310.

Another thing everyone took the piss out of that multi chainsaw tool when i showed them, saying "they could make something like that but cheaper". Chains do fall off at the most furthest possible place from the truck and im thinking do i make them walk a mile back, down a valley and back up crossing a stream in the middle, or do i make them eat humble pie and let them use it.

/rant over

No i haven't had a bad day lol

Dan

What's the software like on the XP-3? I had an XP-1 and gave up after three months as Series 1 Space Invaders was more advanced - it was truly awful. Good for a kick around but t-e-x-t-i-n-g was painful.

£350 is a heck of a lot to pay for a mobile device that sends and receives calls.

And what happened to the XP-2?!

What's the software like on the XP-3? I had an XP-1 and gave up after three months as Series 1 Space Invaders was more advanced - it was truly awful. Good for a kick around but t-e-x-t-i-n-g was painful.

£350 is a heck of a lot to pay for a mobile device that sends and receives calls.

And what happened to the XP-2?!

XP3 seems ok to me and I find texting no problem (but I am an old git and don't text as much as you youngsters)! It is very different to the Motorola I had before and took some getting used to, but I prefer it now.

As I said I my original post, the standard XP3 is available SIM-free for around £220. I don't know what you're looking at for £350, perhaps the upgraded XP3/Landrover phone which has GPS and a camera? The Landrover phone has apparently become a fashion icon now, which is a good reason for not getting one.

The XP2, well that's another story.....