Quad bike or Mule??

jim@T&Ccare

We bought a used quad late last year and while I like it a lot and it handle a 750kg trailer no problem I'm starting to think I should have got a smalll dumper as it would be more versatile- could make extended sides for logs, would tip the logs in a tighter pile, much more manoverable than a trailer, could still pull trailers, I could tee off the hydraulics for a log splitter etc, more likely to find hire work for it, easier to work on and maybe less likely to get nicked?

The reason we got a quad was for clearing up a tree job over a couple of hundred yards of lawn in wet conditions, dumper tyres would be too aggressive for that job, maybe if I changed to a dumper I would need 2 sets of wheels and tyres, one MUDs and one turfs?

Think there may be a quad on ar trader soon!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say Aspenarb you do have some interesting kit, what with the trucks, mogs and now this.

Back to the OP's question I think you need to buy both!!!!! then you will be totally sorted for transport, though the Mule will do most things, Quad requires a trailer or at least one of those boxes on the carriers, never worked out if it's better to have a box on the front, can't see where youre going or a box on the back, trouble getting you leg over!

59766c3d6b353_QuadSide.jpg.e0f900355533b2d6d98a7ff60dce30b3.jpg

59766c3d69785_Logs2.jpg.4ab3fd83b5a5fabf5e63d9268a0f07a4.jpg

Alpaca3.jpg.3dff879d2aa95d4a1679eff6b468cfd1.jpg

having had both i would comment as follows

if it is a deisel mule then it burns nothing in way of fuel compared to pectrol quad

if you carry passengers mule

if you dont like trailers and all your gear getting mud splattered go for mule

steep up hill mule very stable

steep doun hill scary as when you lift foot of trottle the variable speed pulley goes into neutral and it time for new y fronts.to go down safely you nee to use low box and full throttle (can be scary too) except for the kubota which has hydrostatic gearbox so you have engine braking .quads are better going down but not so comfy.

a mule has the turning circle of a landrover!!while a quad is a lot tighter,unless you are chasing sheep this might not matter.

if you roll a quad you die ,while in a mule you might survive.

quads get nicked a lot more than mules

mule has a roof windscreen and doors (sometimes)and in minus 10 they are a lot better than a quad or in the rain.

i am sure 9i missed a few but there is some food for thought

jake:thumbup:

this is true, but made me chuckle

I bought a mule but the head gasket went, the handbrake doesn't work, one of the tyres is flat and bald. Wish I'd spent a bit more on a better one as the applications I have for it are manifold... Hopefully once my woodland is grown I'll be able to afford a better one!

We have the Polaris and have had no end of trouble with it.

The prop from engine to gearbox came off and slapped the gearbox about causing loads of damage.

It free wheels downhill which is scary on mud slopes.

Its had two new rear drive shafts

The diff locks are always getting stuck / not working.

One of the rear drive shafts is always popping out of the gearbox despite being renewed and the retaining clips renewed.

It clonks and rattles through the steering column

But all that said, when its cold/snowing and wet its ten times better than the kawasaki quad if you don't want frozen snoticles streaming down your face.

We are going to a show in a couple of weeks to look at buying a brand spanking one and am following this thread with interest, we have considered the six wheeler, but where concenrned about ground clearance

IMG_0219.jpg.bcff3c370c5906c1678ef55ee1c07357.jpg

Being a big admirer of all things Kubota, I have a great desire for an RTV. However the woodland isn't big enough yet to justify one, there isn't enough work on the rest of the farm to justify one, and not enough around the track or golf course to justify one. So when I can wait no longer I'm probably just going to have to go and buy one anyway but have no doubt that when I get it I'll probably wonder why I waited so long!

By contrast, I've had quads in the past, still get the odd blat on one that I'm working at, but have no desire whatsoever to own another one to use about the place.

As an aside, I've properly rolled one in the past,........... and lived!!!!!!!

Seems I should be dead. :biggrin:

We have the Polaris and have had no end of trouble with it.

The prop from engine to gearbox came off and slapped the gearbox about causing loads of damage.

It free wheels downhill which is scary on mud slopes.

Its had two new rear drive shafts

The diff locks are always getting stuck / not working.

One of the rear drive shafts is always popping out of the gearbox despite being renewed and the retaining clips renewed.

It clonks and rattles through the steering column

But all that said, when its cold/snowing and wet its ten times better than the kawasaki quad if you don't want frozen snoticles streaming down your face.

We are going to a show in a couple of weeks to look at buying a brand spanking one and am following this thread with interest, we have considered the six wheeler, but where concenrned about ground clearance

we have had no problems with our one a battery last year and new tyres is all it has had in 6 years except a service once a year as for ground clearance I dont think it would be any worse than you have just now 6x6 bellys out between front and ist set of rear wheels

Horses for courses. We,ve done the quad bit but the mule works much better for us. It carries two people safely with all their kit, pulls the chipper, has a tip body on the back, is low ground pressure, select between 2 and 4 wheel drive with diff lock. Pop a sprayer and boom on the back and your can carry extra chemical in a chem safe, water and all your ppe. It,s taxed and insured for the road, has seat belts and road kit. We,ve it from new and it's excellent. It's the smallest 4 wheel drive one they do, but it's well able. It replaced a similar older one.

image.jpg.c78f04956133bb75c42b9d9d25caca92.jpg

we have had no problems with our one a battery last year and new tyres is all it has had in 6 years except a service once a year as for ground clearance I dont think it would be any worse than you have just now 6x6 bellys out between front and ist set of rear wheels

I was hoping someone would say that. We bought ours second hand at 10 months old and although it was very low hours and like new, we suspect it had been abused because it was from a grouse moor shoot.

Ive had lots of quads including polaris over the last 25 years and I would normally swear by polaris and put it at number one on my list