How far will you deliver for free?

Woodworks

Average delivery here is 15 miles each way as we are rural, so max free delivery is 20 miles. This is always 3 metres, and orders over 20miles must be 3 metres. Charge is £5 for each 1.5 metres over 20 miles, and that is up to around 25-30 miles.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average delivery here is 15 miles each way as we are rural, so max free delivery is 20 miles. This is always 3 metres, and orders over 20miles must be 3 metres. Charge is £5 for each 1.5 metres over 20 miles, and that is up to around 25-30 miles.

That is a long way to have to go. Good that your customers can take 3 cube though :thumbup1:

Edited by Woodworks

I deliver within 10 miles for free 10-20 miles is + 10 beyond that is a pound a mile from door to door.very long distances are think of a number and treble it.can do 4 loads an hour locally so long distance deliveries only happen when I not got any local ones.jake

It makes sense in my book to do bagged or crated logs on long IFW type trailers. I currently use an 8 foot and get 2 bags on, longest GD series is 12 foot, that will take 3 bags or maybe 4 crates.

I have seen mesh sided tippers with a divider so 2 cube + 2 cube.

One of my competitors uses Pallax/ Posch ? packfix system and an off road pallet truck pulled by a pick up Toyota or similar. His trailer gets 4 packs on + another on the pick up. I suspect he must be very close to being overweight as those off road pallet trucks are not light.

A

Mindless comment that takes no account of each individual setup i.e vehicle, trailer req'd? etc.

It's not a mindless comment what's the use of having a delivery vehicle that can only do one load.

It's like sending the country postman on a skate board.

Can't be processing if your sat in a vehicle.

I think people maybe missing a bit of a point maybe partly because its not been mentioned or maybe im barking up the wrong tree even but....

In an ideal world it would be nice just to load up a decent wagon or pick up and mammoth trailer and deliver 3-4 loads in 1 outing but unfortunately here in devon it holds the longest network of roads in any county, unfortunately many are country lanes whereby sometimes you may end up reversing 1/4-1/2 a mile up a potholed country lane with overgrown hedges just allow another car to pass.

Now common sense prevails and to tow a 14 or 16 foot trailer down some of these roads is usually done as little as one can get away with. On the other hand to take a "main road route" could and usually does take more time and more fuel is doable but that eats into whatever profit you could be making plus how can you charge a customer 7 miles away extra mileage because the main road route could end up being 15 miles?

Its a tricky one but around here its mainly repeat business so its a case of keeping existing customers sweet and not just 1 offs. You would be amazed who knows who around here so everyone trys to keep everyone else sweet.

I think people maybe missing a bit of a point maybe partly because its not been mentioned or maybe im barking up the wrong tree even but....

In an ideal world it would be nice just to load up a decent wagon or pick up and mammoth trailer and deliver 3-4 loads in 1 outing but unfortunately here in devon it holds the longest network of roads in any county, unfortunately many are country lanes whereby sometimes you may end up reversing 1/4-1/2 a mile up a potholed country lane with overgrown hedges just allow another car to pass.

Now common sense prevails and to tow a 14 or 16 foot trailer down some of these roads is usually done as little as one can get away with. On the other hand to take a "main road route" could and usually does take more time and more fuel is doable but that eats into whatever profit you could be making plus how can you charge a customer 7 miles away extra mileage because the main road route could end up being 15 miles?

Its a tricky one but around here its mainly repeat business so its a case of keeping existing customers sweet and not just 1 offs. You would be amazed who knows who around here so everyone trys to keep everyone else sweet.

Yep sounds just like herefordshire with a little bit of imagination most vehicles can be made to carry multiple loads.

Cant see how you can make it pay trundling round with 1 order on.

Delivery days I'm leaving the yard at 730 loaded with 4 /5 cube usually back by 9 do a couple local then in the yard working.

How many loads can you guys get out in a day?

Yep sounds just like herefordshire with a little bit of imagination most vehicles can be made to carry multiple loads.

Delivery days I'm leaving the yard at 730 loaded with 4 /5 cube usually back by 9 do a couple local then in the yard working.

Not many. Still unload the crates by hand so very slow turnaround back at base. Did 7m3 last Saturday and one of those was 3m3 to one customer. Not a hectic but probably only time to have done one more drop. Most of our loads are 2m3.

That is a long way to have to go. Good that your customers can take 3 cube though :thumbup1:

That's often 2 x 1.5 m3, but a lot of our customers use wood for heating,so buy bulk, especially if it's likely we couldn't get to them in ice or snow. I always do truck and trailer, work out routes where 2 drops are closest.

Leaving yard at 8, on a good day most I can do is 8-10 loads, that's 1.5m3loads. But is more like 6-8 most days, depends if it's tipped etc and how far.