Length of tooth on chain

maria warwick

Rakers are taken down every three sharpens. Or sooner if the damage was severe. Also, I see little point throwing a chain away, if it's not back to the witness marks. If chains were meant to be trashed sooner, I seriously doubt the manufacturer would spend money including extra metal for no good reason. I recently worked with a guy, who upon seeing my cutters a couple of mil off the witness marks. Exclaimed the chain was dangerously worn and that he'd never use a chain worn more than half way between factory new and the witness marks.

I see little point throwing a chain away, if it's not back to the witness marks.

A friend of mine bought a Stihl 039 with a "usable" chain. The witness marks were long gone if it ever had any and it looked like a collection of toenail clippings :lol:

A friend of mine bought a Stihl 039 with a "usable" chain. The witness marks were long gone if it ever had any and it looked like a collection of toenail clippings :lol:

Thats how I like them . Filed right back sharp as you like and fast as feck ! :biggrin:

On a day to day basis I don't bother, as there generally enough uneven teeth on either side of the bar to balance things out. Over the course of the chains life one generally notices that their stronger filing side has created shorter teeth on one side, and you tend not to achieve such a straight cut in 1m+ cross cuts. This is when I get the adjustable spanner out, find the shortest tooth and file all the others back to that length - usually once or twice through the life of each chain.

On a day to day basis I don't bother, as there generally enough uneven teeth on either side of the bar to balance things out. Over the course of the chains life one generally notices that their stronger filing side has created shorter teeth on one side, and you tend not to achieve such a straight cut in 1m+ cross cuts. This is when I get the adjustable spanner out, find the shortest tooth and file all the others back to that length - usually once or twice through the life of each chain.

Never tried filing with an adjustable spanner , always found a file works better 1 :biggrin:

Piss taking aside this is what I do . Eye it all up , shorter teeth get 2 strokes longer get 4 and in between get 3 . You can get them close enough that way . no need to use a mic , vernier , spanner or laser beam ....:biggrin: