advice please

Will Ayers

i have been offered a job for good money with an organisation that i have no interest in joining. the work would be line clearance and my passion is with domestic or risk reduction arboriculture. i have enough work at the mo to tick over but no great offers yet, do i hold out with the odd bits im doing at the mo for a few small companies or do i go for the security of a jopb i wont enjoy. i am worried that if i work for the utility company then i will lose contact with domestic arboriculture. is it wrong to go in to a job, knowing i won't enjoy it? is it wrong to risk going self employed and leaving the missus to pay the bills?

has anyone made the decision to work for a company and regretted it?

are the rewards from working self employed or in a job you enjoy more than not having the stresses of money?

im stuck as to what to do

any advice is appreciatedpositive, negative or outright rude

cheers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i run my own tree surgery company and like you i enjoy the arboricultural side of the job , i was offered some subbing work for a utilitty company and took it , i dont really enjoy the work anywhere near as much but it does earn me money , there is plenty of it when i need it and the way i see it is that at least if im doing it im doing it to the best of my abillity rather than some of the hack and slash work i have seen , pluss its a great way to pick up private work !

why go for something you wont enjoy? i know too many people who are depressed about their job, are now stuck with it, so get more depressed but think 'oh well, atleast its a secure income' so dont change, then the circle continues. my answer, dont!

youre missus should be happy to help pay the bills for the sake of youre happiness. if you were to go for the line clearance job, that you wont enjoy, then loose youre contacts, its going to be alot harder to be able to change back.

stick with what you enjoy, the only risk i would take is to better youre happiness, not lower it :001_smile:

it depends entirely on yur position mate...id have to very very desperate indeed to go that route personally. work is always there to be found i think.

well said steve , i have done 2 days utility work in the last 4-5 months and they were only for booked shut downs , nothing against the guys that do the job full time but it is not my ideal kind of work to be doing

You said your worried about the missus paying the bills are you covering them at the moment?

If you are then i would stick with it, going into a job that you know you wont enjoy will bring you stresses in other ways, the money worries will disappear but if but if your unhappy that can cause problems in itself.

This probably isnt an option but is there any chance for you working for them part time, that way you could have the best of both worlds?

theres no way they'd take me on part time or as a subby otherwise i'd bite their hand off. my worry is that i'll turn it down and then work will dry up, if i could get a promise for two days a week from someone then that would be great.

my heart says to avoid what i wont enjoy but my head says to do whatever brings in the money

that said if i work three days a week as a freelance climber I can earn more than a weeks wages with the utility company

i was with you Steve regarding never working on the lines but it seems madness to be turning jobs down at the mo.

you all seem to be saying i should follow my guts and do what I enjoy but that leaves me thinking, "what if?"

it's a risk but is it better to be happy in your work and poor, I think it probably is otherwise I would not be in this business at all

theres no way they'd take me on part time or as a subby otherwise i'd bite their hand off. my worry is that i'll turn it down and then work will dry up, if i could get a promise for two days a week from someone then that would be great.

my heart says to avoid what i wont enjoy but my head says to do whatever brings in the money

that said if i work three days a week as a freelance climber I can earn more than a weeks wages with the utility company

i was with you Steve regarding never working on the lines but it seems madness to be turning jobs down at the mo.

you all seem to be saying i should follow my guts and do what I enjoy but that leaves me thinking, "what if?"

it's a risk but is it better to be happy in your work and poor, I think it probably is otherwise I would not be in this business at all

Follow your heart. It's not what you earn but you spend too. Stick with what you love - give it your best and it will look after you. Forget making someone else money.

other than job security sse is off my list you guys are right i think. i need to get out there and give it 100% on getting more work in and stick with it. i love the work i do now and have no interest in line cutting. i know tree cutter stu will do enough line cutting for all of us anyway. i have to hand the contract for SSE in 7 days, i think it may stay unsent.